Help with making Christmas stockings

(8 Posts)
WatchoutfortheROUS Fri 23-Aug-19 09:13:41

Hello
I'd like to make new stockings for my DC this year. Traditional stocking shaped but bigger than welly sized so they're still a decent size if that makes sense.

Does anyone know of any patterns? Any other tips? I was thinking nice Christmas fabric and thin fleece lined? I'd like them to last.

I'm not hugely experienced but I can follow a pattern and have a sewing machine.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 23-Aug-19 16:26:32

try here for a pattern x

Saz432 Fri 23-Aug-19 16:32:10

I made these and love them
blondedesign.blogspot.com/2012/12/elf-christmas-stocking-tutorial-pattern.html?m=1

onyourway Fri 23-Aug-19 16:51:04

I got an old jumper, cut a stocking shape, sewed the sides together, over stitched with red wool, sewed on buttons and badges and a big initial for child's name and bingo smile

WatchoutfortheROUS Fri 23-Aug-19 19:02:07

Brilliant, thank you so much for the ideas. I realise it is only August but I know it'll take me longer than I expect grin

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 31-Aug-19 21:43:26

Ages ago, but I made my dds nice stretchy stockings out of an old red jersey dress. Was living in a place where you couldn't buy many Christmassy things at all. Just cut a vague pattern out of newspaper IIRC. Got some green felt and stitched their initials on, and from somewhere found little woolly snowmen which I stitched on to the tops.
They used them for many years.

Marcipex Tue 10-Sep-19 19:08:12

I made several for the Chernobyl Christmas project.
I used Christmassy cotton for the outside and lined most of them with red gingham upcycled from school summer dresses.
I just drew a template on card but you could draw around a wellie.

WatchoutfortheROUS Thu 19-Sep-19 22:50:00

Thanks everyone x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in