Talk

Advanced search

Quilting - anyone know any good websites?

(8 Posts)
mamama Sun 05-Aug-07 01:37:15

I have tons of scraps that I would like to make into a quilt and am looking for inspiration.

Specifically, I recently saw a beautiful a one made from small circles, sewn together where they touched (so it had gaps in between where the circles didn't touch) - does anyone have any idea what I am talking and, if so, what they type of quilt is called or where I can get some help making it?!

Any good websites appreciated!

TIA

UCM Sun 05-Aug-07 01:54:07

I am keeping stuff at the moment to make a quilt, I can only do hexagonal so not much help realy unless you mean sewing the circles together and then lining them on a a bigger piece of fabric.

mamama Sun 05-Aug-07 02:05:07

Thanks UCM - they were circles, laid next to each other and sewn where they touched. I can't explain it better than that, but it didn't involve another bit of fabric. I'll have to look in some books in Borders, I think.

Hexagons are a bit tricky for me atm - I'm always impressed by anyone who can sew them together and make them look good!

Califrau Sun 05-Aug-07 02:17:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamama Sun 05-Aug-07 02:24:28

I know, but it looked so good. They were only tiny circles so I figured if could work on them slowly until I have enough to join together. And it wasn't hemmed properly - sort of gathered at the back...

Tigana Fri 24-Aug-07 15:52:14

I think I know what you mean, and I think it is done like this:
Cut the circle, insert needle about 5mmm from edge of circle and pull thread through leaving a good 5-10 cm of 'tail', do not knot or over stitch. Sew around the circumfrence maybe 5mm from edge and then pull the threads to gather the circle at the back. Tie the threads off/stich back into the gather and finish. Repeat ad infinitum.

Tigana Fri 24-Aug-07 15:53:14

like this one??

redclover79 Fri 24-Aug-07 16:06:46

Arent they called suffolk puffs?? don't know of any websites, I go and raid my library every so often and photocopy any patterns I want (I've been working on my latest quilt for nearly 2 years and I'm not even half way!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: