Talk

Advanced search

NEW SITE FOR CRAFTERS

(32 Posts)
loopyredangel Tue 31-Jul-07 11:17:12

If you are a crafty mum working from home and could not afford your own website, would you use a site that offered you pages to sell your products, show your logo, give background history on you and what you do?

How much would you be willing to pay per item to post your listing, or would you prefer to pay a one off fee?

You would have your own link to your part of the site also, and people can pay online using debit and credit cards. I am in the planning stages of putting something together. Let me know your views and thoughts please x

Niecie Tue 31-Jul-07 13:06:52

Sounds like a lovely idea - like one of those craft centres where lots of craftspeople take a unit each, thereby attracting lots of custom.

I currently use ebay to sell quilting stuff, material mostly and also I am branching into a bit of jewellery. However, the draw back of ebay is that there is so much on there now that your stuff gets a bit lost.

I think maybe a joining fee to set up everything up initially. Maybe like ebay a small fee to list stuff and then another one if it is sold.

There is a lot to think about though isn't there as to be sucessful it would have to come quite high up on a google listing. Would you do joint advertising in craft magazines? Would that be part of the fee?

I don't think it is very expensive to get up a website, is it, it is the setting up of the pages and that sort of thing that is difficult. I wouldn't have a website as I don't have enough to make it worthwhile and also I am not sure how to do it so maybe that should be your slant - providing the expertise.

Great idea though - I am surprised it hasn't been done. Isn't that always the way though - people often think the best idea have already been done and that is why they don't do anything about them.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 13:08:08

mmm, might be interested in nthis loopy
one off fee would be better,i think !

FillydoraTonks Tue 31-Jul-07 15:54:33

yes, but how is it not etsy? it sounds just like etsy!

Pruners Tue 31-Jul-07 16:09:35

Message withdrawn

Whizzz Tue 31-Jul-07 16:13:09

i think the key thing would be advertising to ensure the site got hits. Setting up a website is fairly easy if you have the software - getting people to look at it & buy stuff is the hard thing.
Paying a one off fee sounds ok - but how about paying a fee per month / quarter ?
Also the site would have to be easy for users to add new stuff, swap stuff about etc

Also would all users need to be registered as businesses with the taxman ??

FillydoraTonks Tue 31-Jul-07 16:13:09

but british people buy and sell on there.

have bought off there lots, seriously nice baby stuff, and will sell when I get ar$e into gear...

Tillyboo Tue 31-Jul-07 16:15:31

Isn't Etsy based in the US ? or am I thinking of something else ?

Sounds like a good idea to me as long as it doesn't get saturated with lots of similar things being sold & showcased etc.

I think having a select pool of crafters selling a wide variety of things would be popular.

I've been looking into a website myself and I've been quoted anywhere between £4,000 - £6,000 for a good website that has payment facilities and also making sure that 'Googling' brings up the website.

lucykate Tue 31-Jul-07 16:44:41

etsy is US based but is used by crafters all over the world. my latest purchase came from new zealand. etsy is very user friendly, it would be hard, but not imposible, to compete.

Pruners Tue 31-Jul-07 16:47:41

Message withdrawn

lucykate Tue 31-Jul-07 16:52:49

everyone on etsy will ship to all over the world, but obviously if you are in the uk and buying from the uk, the postage will be cheaper. from new zealand to took 9 days to get here.

Pruners Tue 31-Jul-07 16:54:38

Message withdrawn

FillydoraTonks Tue 31-Jul-07 19:24:06

oh pruni etsy is fabulous

am directing all friends and family to etsy for baby shower type purchases.

Also you can always find uk sellers if it matters to you.

But the OTHER thing is that the exchange rate is so good atm that it really makes sense to buy US stuff.

(am unsure if that is ethical or not...I think its ok because of, well, America and Bush and so forth)

loopyredangel Tue 31-Jul-07 21:35:40

Thanjjs for all your input so far, alot of points to consider without giving too much away, we don't want to saturate the viewer with too much, so intend to be quite selective when it comes to users signing up, and plan to gear the site towards gifts for babies and gifts.
Plan to advertise in national parent and child magazines and craft magazines.
The site will be very easy to use for the user.
Whizz, not sure about the taxman, think it would be upto the individual.
Fillydory - I hadn't heard of etsy and will check them out - I am sure there is room for competition though.

loopyredangel Tue 31-Jul-07 21:36:08

Hope you will all pay a visit when everything is set up!

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 31-Jul-07 21:51:04

can you let us all know loopy?

loopyredangel Tue 31-Jul-07 22:37:37

will do, it will be a while but we'll have to have a virtual grand opening, with virtual champagne!

FillydoraTonks Wed 01-Aug-07 07:45:09

you DO need to look at etsy though. It is the big, known place. I do think that to set up in competition to them would be like a site setting up in competition to MN, or ebay, or something. Also they are actually linked to (I think even part of) craftster , the BIG modern crafting site.

So you'd need to differentiate yourself.

the etsy baby category is HUGE

I think there is a way to buy only from the UK. tbh I've never used it. The exchange rate is so good atm. also, most of these items are so light and cheap to post that they come by airmail in a few days anyway.

Am NOT trying to put you off. I am sure that if you market it right there is a way to do this. But I think you need to be thoroughly aware of etsy, its your big competition.

I like the idea of being able to pay online using debit or credit cards. that could be part of the fee. You take the payment then give the artist a cut.

Whizzz Wed 01-Aug-07 12:24:28

ooo hw come I've totally missed Craftster ! Off to investigate !

loopyredangel Wed 01-Aug-07 18:24:50

Thanks Filly for the info, and I know you are not trying to put me off, but to be honest I am not planning to be a huge competitor of etsy, I did have a look and thought there was just too much on there, gorgeous though the stuff was. I plan to keep the ship a little tighter and more exclusive, not having too much of the same thing, plus just gearing towards the baby and child market, with a separate for craft gifts for new mums and dads.

loopyredangel Wed 01-Aug-07 18:26:26

104,396, thats alot of crafters too much to look at! Craftster site!

loopyredangel Wed 01-Aug-07 18:28:01

20774 items on the baby section of etsy - that's alot of browsing.

Dingle Wed 01-Aug-07 20:47:15

I think it's a great idea- good luck with it.

For the likes of someone like me, I would love to push myself into making money from my crafts rather than just spend on more supplies and earn my local charity group a few pennies, but I simply haven't the time to build a customer base, do any marketing or build a website, so I just plod along making cards for myself and very occasionally a few friends.

I do occasionally sell a few bits and bobs on Ebay to feed my crafty stash fund but it is so flooded with papercrafts.

Gingermonkey Thu 02-Aug-07 08:07:01

loopy - you just need to be specific with what you want on etsy. I have a shop on there and I am doing ok so far (only started in the last couple of weeks). But I would love to be part of yours when you get set up. this is my shop. Would my horses be welcome? <<<GM hopes nervously, fingers crossed, for approval>>>
Etsy is cheap, it costs 20cents to list an item, that's a flat rate with photos etc (up to 5 I think). It then charges you a final fee for items sold (I get charged 65cents for an $18 item). It is also incredibly easy to list on there, which is great. And there is a community feel to it, in the forums and with other sellers. People are very friendly and help each other out with advice etc. It's a great place to get ideas from and then you could pick out the best parts and go from there.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now