People who knit: how do I add a new yarn to my existing project?

(6 Posts)
KnittingForMittens Wed 26-Jun-19 10:46:49

So I did a large square section which I've casted off, but I now want to add a different coloured yarn onto the existing project! I've watched YT videos but they all show adding the ball of yawn whilst doing the project. Is there any way I can add it on and continue? Videos would be helpful! Thankyou.

OP’s posts: |
RB68 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:48:40

You need to make stitches in the project with the new yarn same way you would for a neckband on a cardigan - so picking up stitches from the edge of the project on one needle and knitting into them with the new yarn. Will see if I can find a video

RB68 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:51:38

try this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1HeRqgYe_8

RB68 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:55:50

I do it slightly differently in that I decide how many stitches I want down that side, divide it up with markers and then in each section use a left needle to collect stitches from the project then knit up those stitches in small groups - but it has the same effect.

KnittingForMittens Wed 26-Jun-19 11:29:49

@RB68 THANK You! That did the trick. It was very tricky however! Some stitches was quite tight so was having trouble putting the needle through but managed it.

Thanks again smile

OP’s posts: |
RB68 Wed 26-Jun-19 11:42:48

yes I find that and I loathe knitting up neck bands etc - lost count of the times I have left a project for months before doing - deep breath and dive in - lol

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in