Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Who knows their yarns? I need a recommendation.

(12 Posts)
TooTicky Mon 09-Jul-07 23:18:58

Ds1 really wants a Dennis the Menace type jumper. I want to use thickish yarn so it doesn't take so long to do. Don't really like synthetics but probably can't afford pure natural fibres. Also, don't want Australian wool because of mulesing. Is there anything suitable out there?
Oh, and can I get away with crocheting instead of knitting or would it look wrong?

flibbertyjibbet Mon 09-Jul-07 23:31:56

Crochet would look really wrong. If DS is quite young then double knitting yarn on 4mm needles would knit quite quickly, I find chunky wools don't hang right on younger kids. I would find a pattern that you like then select the yarn to suit. I only knit in pure wool or cotton, yes it costs more, but I figure if I want a cheap acrylic item I can just go to Matalan and buy one for £2.99.

TooTicky Mon 09-Jul-07 23:35:13

Thanks. He is 8. I feared crochet wouldn't do
Where do you shop for wool?

flibbertyjibbet Mon 09-Jul-07 23:46:19

I get quite a bit from ebay for the kids as people sell off amounts that are not enough for an adult item! But then I am quite 'experienced' in my wools and know what is a good ebay buy. Knitting shops are not as thick on the ground as they used to be, but I'd have a trip to one and discuss what you are trying to make, with the owner as they are usually keen knitters! Take a pic along of what you have in mind, she can help you find a normal pattern to adapt, and advise on yarn. But if you go for natural yarns be prepared for it to cost more than all his other (shop bought) sweaters! Don't go Rowan or Debbie Bliss, or that will cost more than all his other sweaters PUT TOGETHER!!

TooTicky Tue 10-Jul-07 12:50:18

Our local wool shop is very sniffy and has unpleasant signs up saying things like, " Please do not allow children to touch the wool." So we don't go there.

warthog Tue 10-Jul-07 14:40:16

shame about the snotty wool shop. have a look at this site. they have a sale on at the moment.

TooTicky Tue 10-Jul-07 19:41:04

Thanks

Zazette Tue 10-Jul-07 20:00:11

King Cole merino DK - 100% wool, feels lovely, washes beautifully, hardwearing, comes in a fantastic range of colours, and is surprisingly reasonable given its many virtues!
(no I don't work for them)

Pruners Tue 10-Jul-07 20:02:50

Message withdrawn

Pruners Tue 10-Jul-07 20:03:10

Message withdrawn

Tamum Tue 10-Jul-07 20:04:44

I agree with Pruni- aran would be fine and quicker. Texere often have good deals on, and lots of sites have sales on just now. Assuming this is the same jumper as the other thread you would need 5 or 6 balls of aran weight

TooTicky Tue 10-Jul-07 22:12:22

Thank you everybody
Oh, quicker is definitely better!
Yes Tamum, same jumper as the other thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now