Talk

Advanced search

Debbie Bliss jumper - it is finished - it looks fab - I am so proud - but it won't go over dds head!!!!!

(11 Posts)
RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 12:31:08

Have checked and rechecked and cannot see where I have gone wrong - it is raglan sleeves with funnel neck that kind of rolls over!

Any ideas for resolving this before I resort to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrunken_head

NotQuiteCockney Sun 01-Jul-07 12:32:10

Ok, what's it made out of? Can you post a link to a picture of it?

Was it knitted bottom-up or top-down? If bottom-up, is the cast-off too tight?

Does your DD have a notably large head?

RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 12:37:38

Made from Debbie Bliss Aran so 100% wool, knitted bottom up. Don't think DD1 has especially large head - but tried on dd2 as well and won't fit her either!

Suspect cast off too tight

This is it http://www.thewoolshack.com/debbie_bliss.htm?action=display&PatternID=2472&BackText=Junior%20Knits

RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 12:41:45

I lie

it is 55% Merino Wool/33% Microfibre/12% Cashmere

NotQuiteCockney Sun 01-Jul-07 13:39:33

Ok, does it look/feel tight? Which bit is sticking?

I'd uncastoff, then re cast on. And maybe block it to loosen up the neck. Do you know how to do that?

DutchOma Sun 01-Jul-07 14:43:30

If you use one needle a size, or even two sizes bigger than you have used it is easier to cast off loosely. I can't quite see, did you pick up sts round the neck to put the collar bit on? if so, you will probably need to undo the whole collar and unpick the cast off and redo on the neck as well.
It's a lovely jumper, did you do it that colour?

RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 16:01:37

Oh pants! Picked up stitches from stitchholder connecting them to form funnel neck. Have no idea how to uncastoff or block it

Are you sure headshrinking would not be easier ?

RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 16:02:16

I thought it was a lovely jumper and I knitted in pale blue - to suit my little red head.

DutchOma Sun 01-Jul-07 16:34:15

You need to find the end of your casting off and carefully unpick it. If you have just picked up stitches from a stitch holder you will be alright to undo the casting of and then do it again. It is very fidgety to find the little tag where you cast of and broke the thread but when you have found that and undone it, you can pick up what comes loose stitch by stitch on the needle you used. Don't be tempted to just tug at it and unravel the lot
Sorry to disappoint you but redheads shrink worse than other heads, it's the stubbornness in them.

RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 16:50:21

Boo hoo hooo! I bet I cannot find the thread - I compensate for my shoddy workmanship by neatening everything to a high standard.

DutchOma Sun 01-Jul-07 17:17:04

I know the feeling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now