Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

**************calling all knitters!! moss stich !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(10 Posts)
dressedupnowheretogo Tue 26-Jun-07 08:47:01

i cant do it icant i cant i cant

i manage about 5 stitches then it turns into rib stich please some one enlighten me please

Marina Tue 26-Jun-07 08:59:16

You have to count strictly! K1, Pl. And if you have an even number of stitches in the row, you start the next row P1, K1.
If you have an odd number of stitches it is way easier as all rows are K1, P1.

You'll hate me for saying this but moss stitch is something that gets easier with practice, truly. Do yourself a little square to get the hang of flipping the wool from front to back and I promise you'll get the hang of it.
Despite it being more time consuming, I love moss stitch

dressedupnowheretogo Tue 26-Jun-07 09:09:23

i find it so fustrating i couldnt do a square for maude

EffiePerine Tue 26-Jun-07 09:14:05

make sure you're knitting each purl stich and purling each knit stitch . After a while you'll get used to the 'feel' of it.

dressedupnowheretogo Tue 26-Jun-07 09:15:19

thanks for the support going to see my gran later will pick her brains

Miaou Tue 26-Jun-07 09:16:28

The way I remember it is, if you have a little loop below the stitch, then knit it. If you don't, then purl it. As you look back across your row, you should have a line of stitches with a loop under each alternate one (that helps me if I get broken off or stuck.

And as Marina says, do an odd number of stitches so that you always start off each row with k1, then p1. Then if you get stuck it is easier to work out which stitch you should be doing.

(And don't worry about the odd bit of rib - it doesn't really show )

dressedupnowheretogo Tue 26-Jun-07 16:57:00

any tipsw for counting stitches ladies im conting wrong thats why im getting ribs

doh

Miaou Tue 26-Jun-07 20:20:31

Just touch each stitch and say "knit, purl, knit, purl" etc - my family are used to me muttering away under my breath!!

dressedupnowheretogo Thu 28-Jun-07 09:56:09

can i jst say thankyou for all the advise yesterday i now have a fab moss stich border and its shaping up to be a lovely cardi so thankx

Miaou Thu 28-Jun-07 16:40:01

oooh excellent - wondered how you had got on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now