Talk

Advanced search

Card making with a two year old.

(19 Posts)
aviatrix Mon 25-Jun-07 21:03:24

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:09:52

Oh I thought you were going to tell US all YOUR wonderful ideas LOL

erm 2 is very young to do much at all, isn't it? I think it depends if you want them to actually look beautiful, or be genuinely home made by your child IYSWIM. The two are probably mutually exclusive atm.

I would try pritt stick for slightly less mess and maybe some cut up pieces of hand made paper / interesting printed paper / wallpaper etc

oh bugger you can't buy anything can you

so what have you got in the house?

Washersaurus Mon 25-Jun-07 21:15:34

I have made cards with my DS who is nearly 2. I found the easiest thing to do was to cut pictures out for him and give him a pritt stick and sort of guide him how to stick them on, then let him go wild with the felt tip pens . The end result is usually very...ummm...interesting, but it is good fun, especially when it is so rainy outside!

aviatrix Mon 25-Jun-07 21:17:46

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:18:53

finger painting or hand prints always looks nice on a card

or a foot print, or welly print! Easy to do in the garden and then mess doesn't matter

If you mix the paint with some pva glue you can then sprinkle glitter on top before it is dry

the shaker kind of container for glitter is the best

aviatrix Mon 25-Jun-07 21:19:37

Message withdrawn

MerryMarigold Mon 25-Jun-07 21:19:56

I let my ds 'decorate' a piece of paper - felts, crayons, glitter glue etc. - and then cut out shapes eg. a number 1 for a first bday or someone's name or HAPPY BIRTHDAY and stick onto black card. It looks fab.

Tatties Mon 25-Jun-07 21:20:01

Right, I have found a couple of methods of mass producing cards with a little help from ds.

First one is letting him paint on a sheet of white paper. Now he doesn't have a great attention span for painting, so I let him go mad with colours and swirling the brush or his hands around until he has had enough (sometimes I paint on my own piece of paper so I am not watching over him). Then I clean him up and get him sorted playing with something else while I get a couple of blank sheets and take prints from his painting. When they've dried you end up with a few sheets of art you can cut up and stick onto cards.

The other method is less messy and holds ds's attention for a bit longer. I get a sheet of white paper, spread diluted PVA glue liberally all over, then let ds loose with multi-coloured bits of cut up tissue paper. I stick bits on too when he's had enough. Then leave to dry. The aim is the same - producing a large sheet of art that you can cut up into shapes for sticking onto cards.

You will have the initial outlay of materials, but you can get a LOT of cheap cards out of this. Do you get the idea?

MerryMarigold Mon 25-Jun-07 21:20:37

wow, you can draw a digger! I just have to draw balls - v easy!

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:20:47

(old salt shaker could double as glitter shaker)

ah poo you haven't got glitter

can WE buy stuff and send it to you?

Tatties Mon 25-Jun-07 21:20:58

Yes! MerryMarigold has the idea

aviatrix Mon 25-Jun-07 21:22:15

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:23:31

Butterfly painting looks nice - blob or finger paint a few colours of paint on a piece of paper then fold it over to make a symmetrical pattern

when dry can be mounted on a card, with added eyes, antennae etc if you want to make it more butterfly-like

aviatrix Mon 25-Jun-07 21:26:05

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:28:21

Ok, don't make cards, make fairy cakes and give those instead

you could ice a message on them if you wanted

TooTicky Mon 25-Jun-07 22:17:34

You could always use dried herbs, black and white pepper, paprika, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, etc. instead of glitter (says TT who can still find glitter in the carpet from 3 years ago or whenever it was I was daft enough to let the dcs sprinkle things...)

MrsScavo Mon 25-Jun-07 22:24:59

Cut potatoes in half, carve out a spcial shape (hearts are easy) and let him stamp paint with them.

aviatrix Mon 25-Jun-07 22:39:59

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 08:10:25

Oh sand can make a nice effect also if you happen to have some. Also goes well in a salt shaker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now