Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about felting!

(8 Posts)
WombatStewForTea Fri 27-Jul-18 20:17:45

I'm thinking of taking up felting as a new hobby. What do I need to know? Buy? I keep seeing things about moulds but I had a friend a few years back who was amazing and I'm sure moulds weren't used

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 29-Jul-18 08:47:10

Wet felting or needle felting?

Belle89 Tue 07-Aug-18 07:03:41

I've tried wet felting, will find a pic of what I made if I can. Just ordered a basic kit from Amazon and a pattern to try needle felting.
The wet felting I went to a local group, I wouldn't of mastered it on my own.
Needle felting I have found tutorials on YouTube etc. It looks a little easier but time will tell.

StripesandWings Tue 07-Aug-18 21:43:49

Needle felting is dead easy.

You could start by buying yourself a simple kit to get the idea and some basic and cheap equipment (Kirstie Alsop had some) but you can definitely do it with wool, a bit of upholstory foam, a needle and a you tube video! E.g.
youtu.be/LKYgtEL7AYw (I chose that at random, there are thousands!)

You can use a mould to start with or just a ball of wool (if you want to make something roughly round!)

Or use a cookie cutter: www.northpole.com/CraftCottage/needle-felted-cookie-cutter-ornaments

Amazon and Etsy do generic starter kits too with a range of different colours and a few needles

You will inevitably stab your finger with a needle at some point! It hurts!

UnapologeticallyUnhinged Sat 11-Aug-18 16:43:21

Agreed. I just bought a basic set of needles and some fibre off eBay (less than a fiver all in) and watched a load of YouTube videos. Used a washing up sponge and a small cushion wrapped in thick fabric until I knew I liked it. Now I have all the kit and a big upholstery pad as I absolutely LOVE it! It's so therapeutic and you don't need to fork out a lot to start. I've been making garlands of all different colour and shaped pumpkins for Autumn.

UnapologeticallyUnhinged Sat 11-Aug-18 16:49:19

Here a pic...includes some crochet but don't hold that against me!

FairyLightFiend Sat 11-Aug-18 16:52:21

UnapologeticallyUnhinged That’s amazing! You’re so talented! I’d never have the patience for something like that!

UnapologeticallyUnhinged Sat 11-Aug-18 18:22:25

@FairyLightFiend it's easy! You just make a flat round blob and a needle and threat does the shaping!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: