Gluing to canvas

(13 Posts)
PineappleExpress Sat 27-Jan-18 14:46:56

Hello crafty people,
I'm making my friend some pictures for when her baby is born. I have canvas frame things and I'm using a combination of cotton fabric, card, wool/string, buttons and felt.
I think my hot glue gun work well enough to hold the different materials together, but I don't think it's really suitable for sticking it to the canvas, as it would probably start drying before I'd have time to finish gluing.
What type of glue work work well for this? And can I have brand recommendations, too, please.
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Knittedfairies Sat 27-Jan-18 14:49:50

I was going to suggest a hot glue gun but I see you've ruled that out! Otherwise Hi Tack all purpose adhesive is pretty good
www.amazon.co.uk/Impex-HT1780-Original-Purpose-Adhesive/dp/B002LXMTX0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hi-tack+glue&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1517064524&sr=8-1

PineappleExpress Sat 27-Jan-18 14:56:57

Thanks. I'm just assuming hot glue wouldn't work because of how quickly it dries. Have you used it before?

Knittedfairies Sat 27-Jan-18 15:03:30

I've used hot glue and Hi Tack, although the glue gun is my go-to. It does dry quickly, but if you've got everything to hand it is usually fine - you can't hang around too much with hot glue!

PineappleExpress Sat 27-Jan-18 15:32:25

Ok, great. Thanks. I'll give the hot glue gun a go as I already have it here. Fingers crossed I don't mess it up after all the work I've put in so far 😂

PineappleExpress Sat 27-Jan-18 15:56:45

😭 I messed it up. I think I need a glue I can paint on as it's hard to get all the little bits lined up in time

Knittedfairies Sat 27-Jan-18 16:21:04

Argh! Can you recover any of it?

TheReins Sat 27-Jan-18 16:21:27

Gem tac is great for the buttons etc. Mod Podge works well on canvas for card and lightweight objects,

PineappleExpress Sat 27-Jan-18 16:48:08

Great! Thanks, @TheReins. I was just looking at Mod Podge.

I just about managed to trim bits down and replace one bit, @Knittedfairies. A lucky save. The hot glue doesn't seem to be as adhesive between the cotton fabric and felt, so it was relatively easy to peel the worst offending piece off. Thankfully hadn't got to attempting to stick to the canvas!

carrotfaery Sun 28-Jan-18 21:17:24

Try this stuff
www.amazon.co.uk/Prima-Marketing-Finnabair-Basics-Ounces/dp/B01AMLICRY/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&keywords=heavy+body+gel&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1517173954&sr=1-2

It's better than using a glue gun as it dries flexible, so the stuff you stick on is less likely to fall off in time. Also, you can apply it with a brush so maybe easier?

carrotfaery Sun 28-Jan-18 21:19:52

Or their 3d matte gel would also work f you're not sticking on anything particularly heavy. Think it works as a protector/sealant too.

PineappleExpress Thu 01-Feb-18 13:04:11

Sorry, @carrotfaery, I didn't notice your comments. Thank you. I will give them a go once my new materials arrive smile

carrotfaery Fri 02-Feb-18 11:38:20

No worries smile I make a lot of mixed media art, and I'm waiting on some new materials myself. Starting to get a little impatient though as they're taking their time, I order them from US sites which is cheaper than amazon but takes a little longer to arrive!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in