Talk

Advanced search

Decoupaging with napkins

(7 Posts)
Nousernameforme Sat 13-Jan-18 11:44:34

Has anyone done this? I am thinking about doing the kitchen table and wondered if i gave it a good clear coat of varnish would it be long lasting do you think?

Also if you wanted naice paper napkins where would you go. I've tried not on the high street, dotcomgiftshop, paper chase and john lewis but not really seeing what i am after

Stitchit Sat 13-Jan-18 15:31:48

I didn't know this was a thing with napkins and popped off to have a look. Try Amazon. Type in "napkin decoupage". They seem to have a good variety.

I've never actually tried decoupage so not an expert. grin My concern with something like a kitchen table is that it is probably one of the pieces of furniture most subjected to sharp implements, heat etc. I'm not sure how well the varnish would stand up to kitchen cleaners either. Just some points worth noting.

I would think an extra coat of heavy duty varnish would be a good idea, along with some good quality place settings and mats to go under any serving dishes.

I bet it would look lovely though!

Nousernameforme Sun 14-Jan-18 11:22:37

Thanks will have a look it's only the top I am doing and maybe the chair seats. Good note about placemats. I'm sure there is a diy somewhere for those

Mosaic123 Tue 16-Jan-18 13:11:42

Could you have a big piece of glass cut to place over the table? You make an exact template of the table top from newspaper and take it to a glass merchant. They will cut the glass for you and polish the edges. It's not too expensive.

Nousernameforme Tue 16-Jan-18 13:36:51

I don't think that would be dreadfully safe in our house but it's a good idea

Mosaic123 Tue 16-Jan-18 13:55:36

How about a sheet of clear heavy duty plastic sheeting over it stapled on underneath? There is also some kind of clear resin, rather than varnish that you could put on. A DIY shop should have some.

Mosaic123 Tue 16-Jan-18 13:58:03

Hobbycraft sell the resin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now