Faulty knitting patterns online. Is it only me?

(8 Posts)
TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Thu 04-Jan-18 21:15:31

I’ve been knitting an crocheting for 40 years since l was about 11. I could always make anything from a pattern with no problem.

But since I’ve started downloading or buying patterns off blogs, l seem to have endless problems with the patterns being wrong.... . So have l just become crap over the last 10 years?

I’ve now made the decision not to buy random patterns off the internet and only to buy ones with recognised brand name

OP’s posts: |
PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 04-Jan-18 21:35:04

Same with cooking recipes, i started noticing with cheap books, and it slid into web sites

Mybabystolemysanity Thu 04-Jan-18 21:37:39

If you haven't already, do go and join Ravelry. You can look at user comments to get a good idea if something has been professionally tech edited. It's very transparent.

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Thu 04-Jan-18 21:59:44

A lot are from Ravelry, but l don’t always read reviews.

OP’s posts: |
Stitchit Thu 04-Jan-18 23:54:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HerSymphonyAndSong Fri 05-Jan-18 00:01:38

Agree about Ravelry reviews, and often errata are available - I assume you’re talking about cases where no errata have been published?

I have to say that I haven’t found this at all, and it is worth checking to see which ones have been well-tested in advance as this will often show on Ravelry

frasier Fri 05-Jan-18 00:12:48

Growing up, nearly every member of my family had a cableknit jumper with the same fault in the pattern on the front (one of the cables didn't twist, it was just an S shape) knitted by my grandmother from a old paper pattern. It was like being a member of a secret society!

turbohamster Sat 06-Jan-18 11:13:59

I only buy patterns online from sellers who also publish free patterns. This gives me assurance about the style and quality of the bought pattern and I've not had any issues.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in