Talk

Advanced search

Crocheting with dodgy thumbs and elbows

(10 Posts)
Gingaaarghpussy Wed 13-Dec-17 19:15:45

I have decided to take up crocheting again. I discovered much to my annoyance, that having 'double jointed thumbs' and a dodgy right elbow is not conducive to comfy crocheting.
I meandered round t'internet and now have elbow and thumb support things. I have also invested in ergonomic hooks.
Is there anything else I can do to reduce the immediate ache? The thumb support works because it stops the bottom joint going inwards, but the elbow support only does so much.
It's taken me a long time to pick up my hooks again, due to crap mental health and I don't want to admit defeat before I've really got going

Gingaaarghpussy Wed 13-Dec-17 20:22:28

Tumbleweed coming through

Gingaaarghpussy Wed 13-Dec-17 22:51:41

Billy no mates dodges the tumbleweed to wave hi

Stitchit Wed 13-Dec-17 22:52:10

Thumbs: Ergo hooks are great, using a size down and loosening your tension will help too. For example, if pattern calls for a 5mm hook with your normal tension, try a 4.5mm and work a bit looser. That way you'll be putting less pressure on your thumb joints.

Alternatively for smaller items, you could move from the wrist with your other hand and keep your hooking hand stationary, so you move your work rather than your hook (I tend to do this anyway as I find it more comfortable, possible touch of early arthritis in my digits).

Elbows: prop them up on a couple of pillows on your lap rather than holding them in the air, you'll find you can relax your arms a bit more. Sizing down with hook as above will help a little with this as well I reckon.

Flex your arms and digits before you start working, if you run you do lunges etc, any exercise needs a warm up, I don't see crochet as any different.

And short bursts, build up slowly. You don't start running and do 5 miles the first time.

smile

Gingaaarghpussy Thu 14-Dec-17 00:35:00

The tumbleweed, Billy and I say thank you v er y much for your reply. I will use your suggestionsgrin

Stitchit Thu 14-Dec-17 12:12:37

grin You're very welcome!

It can be quite a quiet corner of MN so that might be why it took a while to get any attention.

FWIW, I have poor mental health aswell, and I use crochet as therapy because it's repetitive but still takes a certain level of concentration depending on what you're working on.

If concentration levels are your issue go with scarves, squares and blankets. If you need distracting from something else try a more complex project.

Gingaaarghpussy Fri 15-Dec-17 01:18:27

It's only recently that I've started crocheting again. With attention span of a gnat I need to do lots of different things. The one thing that I don't do is watch TV. I'm crocheting a granny square at present using chunky wool, so I get the results quicker and the hook is big too

Stitchit Fri 15-Dec-17 10:16:43

I've only picked it up fairly recently again, but for very different reasons. My DD is finally settling in the evenings which means I've got some time to myself. I only realised how much I'd missed it when I picked up my hook bag for the first time in over 2 years!

I've done a couple of squares for Woolly Hugs, a Father Christmas hat for my DD, a few Christmas decorations, and some hats, scarves and gloves for presents. I've got some crocheted dolls' clothes left to put buttons on, and some angel wings blocking at the moment to repair a friend's ornament.

I think squares are the perfect place to start and as they're quick to make up you can easily go and do something else if you need to chop and change.

My DH has the tv on all the time, but I'm not mich of a watcher unless there's a particular film on I wanted to see really so I tend to do lots of other bits and pieces as well.

My other hobby is quilling with paper but my back has been playing up and I find I hunch over to work so I've put that aside for now. angry

liz70 Sat 16-Dec-17 12:52:37

"My other hobby is quilling with paper but my back has been playing up and I find I hunch over to work so I've put that aside for now."

Perhaps an adjustable slanting table top easel/art board type thing that you could clip your work to might help with that?

Stitchit Sat 16-Dec-17 14:33:00

Liz70 I'd want one with a light and I'm not allowed to buy myself anything before Christmas. DH will only get it wrong so I'll plan to get one in the new year. Great call, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now