Talk

Advanced search

Tension sewing machine

(14 Posts)
zzzzz Thu 30-Nov-17 21:12:30

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I haven’t used my sewing machine for a decade but finally have time and fabric and I appear to have become totally incompetent.

I’ve threaded it right (I’m pretty sure) but I’m getting loops under the stitches. I know this is s tension problem but I can’t work out how to adjust it to balance it iykwim.

I just want to sew straight lines.sad

zzzzz Sat 02-Dec-17 15:45:14

Aaaaargh
I have rethreaded SO many times.

ChipInTheSugar Sat 02-Dec-17 15:46:14

Can you post a pic of the settings?

angstinabaggyjumper Sat 02-Dec-17 16:47:55

What brand of machine is it? As Chip knows I recently fixed the tension on a sewing machine that someone gave to me with the caveat it had tension issues. My advice would be to search on YouTube firstly to check you have threaded it correctly and second how to fix the tension. Also sometimes changing the needle helps. And praying.

zzzzz Sat 02-Dec-17 17:43:32

can’t post till kids in bed, it’s an elna 6001. It knots underneath and jams. sad. SO frustrating. The instruction manual is very light.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Sat 02-Dec-17 17:54:12

Your bobbin isn't threaded properly. Mine does this when I haven't threaded the boob in right

zzzzz Sat 02-Dec-17 18:07:06

The bobbin threads exactly like any other bobbin though.

zzzzz Sat 02-Dec-17 18:07:55

Sorry that sounded abrupt. I will retry the bobbin

angstinabaggyjumper Sat 02-Dec-17 18:08:56

This might be useful www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF7EOCvpHLg I can't find your specific machine on Youtube but if you find one similar the threading etc. will probably be the same because they don't change e.g. I had a Singer electric machine for some years and one day I found the parts from my mother's old Singer treadle machine, they worked just as well on the electric machine. Let us know how you get on. smile

zzzzz Sun 03-Dec-17 11:55:45

It’s working! it’s working!

I fiddled with the a screw in the bottom and thought “you are being a fool you need to take it to someone”....rethreaded and tried one last time.gringrin

I’ve sewn about 60 triangular patches together. grin

Thank you all. I tried EVERYTHING mentioned.

So excited. It has a button that sees lines of flowers (where the hell can a large very un-frilly woman use such a stitch?grin)

sizenines Sun 03-Dec-17 12:13:49

If you didn't already, make sure your machine innards that you can reach are properly cleaned of fluff and you have oiled where necessary (see your machine manual for where to put oil) as this can also affect the smooth running of the stitches.

MipMipMip Sun 03-Dec-17 12:17:52

And don't over oil! Apparently that causes more problems that under oiling (and can stain your fabric). Really glad you're sorted now, what are you making?

zzzzz Sun 03-Dec-17 13:48:23

grin it’s clean, and running smoothly. I will investigate oil tomorrow. I suspect it’s fine as all seems well.

I’ve cut up lots of old dcs dresses/shirts that I live too much to part with but are —a decade— a few years old. My plan is to use an old duvet as quilt padding and create a wonder. grin

Silly but fun, and life is a little stressful so nice distraction.

MipMipMip Sun 03-Dec-17 17:03:22

Not in the least bit silly! Bet it will look fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now