Talk

Advanced search

Please help - knitted squares

(12 Posts)
SallyLockhartsDog Fri 10-Nov-17 21:49:08

Very elderly MIL, who is very unwell (dementia) at the moment has given me 12 knitted squares (they are actually rectangular) and has asked me to turn them in to a blanket (she has got muddled and has decided I am some sort of crafting genius). They are all sunshine yellow.

I am a novice knitter, never crocheted and pretty handy with a sewing machine.

Please help - what do I do with them?!?! Would love to do something lovely for her as she is such an amazing person.

sooperdooper Fri 10-Nov-17 21:51:07

I would place them together into the size blanket you want, then sew the edges together using a wool darning needle and some of the same wool they're been knitted in

Ttbb Fri 10-Nov-17 21:52:37

I would do as suggested about but would use contrast stichtibg-maybe baby pink?

TheWoollybacksWife Fri 10-Nov-17 21:56:23

If you lay them out (either 3x4 or 2x6 depending on how rectangular they are) what are the measurements?

I would stitch them together using mattress stitch and then knit 4 simple strips in garter stitch to edge it. Use a contrasting coloured yarn and cast on say 10 stitches and keep knitting until it is long enough to stitch to the top of your sewn together squares. Make one the same size and stitch to the bottom. Then cast on the same number of stitches and make pieces for the sides.

SallyLockhartsDog Fri 10-Nov-17 22:01:27

Thank you flowers

I like your idea Wooly, I want to do something a bit special. I know she can't appreciate it but...I would feel better knowing I had tried to make something beautiful out of her efforts.

Is that a border a way of doing a border? Trying to get the mental picture in my mind!

SallyLockhartsDog Fri 10-Nov-17 22:02:22

Also like the contrasting pink idea!

I will measure them in the morning - thank you!

TheWoollybacksWife Fri 10-Nov-17 22:05:56

I would say it is a more straightforward way of adding a border as you are a novice knitter. You could pick stitches up from the edge of the squares and knit the border straight on to the edge but that would depend on how confident you feel.

I would try to make it lap sized if you can and then maybe your lovely MIL could cover her knees with your join efforts.

MountainDweller Fri 10-Nov-17 22:23:50

If you wanted to make it bigger you could make some additional rectangles in a contrasting or complementary colour and arrange them in a pattern, with or without the border as suggested above. Better if you can match the brand of wool she used to avoid uneven shrinkage if washed, but probably not essential.

pumpkin93 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:33:22

If you are great at sewing how about getting a cheap plain blanket and then appliqué them on with some fancy stitching.

SallyLockhartsDog Sun 12-Nov-17 20:31:48

Have attached a photo of the squares.

I think I will blanket stitch them together and then do the border in a contrasting colour. Not sure what though!

Thanks for all the advice flowers

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 12-Nov-17 21:07:28

If I can read the measurements on your cutting mat I'd say that they are roughly 6" x 7.5" in size - so a 3 x 4 layout will be roughly 24" square. With a deep border on that will be a lovely size for a lap blanket.

SallyLockhartsDog Mon 13-Nov-17 20:31:47

Thanks Woolly flowers will post some pics once I get something together

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: