Talk

Advanced search

Any photographers out there?

(6 Posts)
OutComeTheWolves Thu 09-Nov-17 13:54:33

For a long time now I've been wanting to learn how to take 'proper' photographs, by have never got around to it mainly due to the cost.

Anyway, the other week dh came in with a proper dlsr camera for me as a gift. I was over the moon as he's not one to surprise me like that anyway.

So I've been practising and practising, reading the instructions and trying to find stuff on you tube and my photos are still shit. I'm getting disheartened already because I can take nicer photos on my phone.

My questions for any photographers out there are how long did it take before you were taking decent photos and is it actually when you edit it on your computer that it becomes good? Which editing software should I be using?

Thanks in advance- any tips at all will be gratefully received!

OutComeTheWolves Thu 09-Nov-17 18:52:59

Anyone?

Snafflebrain Fri 10-Nov-17 22:03:21

What type of photos do you like to take? And what don’t you like about your dslr photos?
Your phone processes your photos automatically, switching to a dslr you may need to do some of this processing yourself - especially if you are using raw files and not JPEG’s. Put your camera in auto mode and it will do this processing for you.
Lightroom is good - it will organise your photos and do more than basic edits. I use it to improve my photos rather than anything very arty.
Phlearn in YouTube is very good.
If you are in Facebook there are many beginner photography groups where you can ask advice on your photos.
Don’t jump straight into full manual mode but experiment in Apature and shutter speed modes whilst you learn your way around the exposure triangle (useful to google if you don’t already know what this is).

OutComeTheWolves Fri 17-Nov-17 08:27:07

Thank you snaffle I think I'm just feeling disheartened because on my phone I can take a pic, stick a filter on it and it'll look good!
I think it's just so long since I've learned a new skill, that I was surprised that it didn't just happen straight away. I'm going to stick at it though.

inchyrablue Fri 17-Nov-17 08:30:32

Our local camera shop does 2hr (or it might be 4hr) sessions for people New to dslr cameras. It might be worth asking. Maybe ask for that for a Christmas present.

Snafflebrain Fri 17-Nov-17 09:18:28

If you like the look of phone filters then look into the photo editing side like learning Lightroom or similar. All a phone filter does is apply a preset of adjustments - like tone adjustment / brightness / shadows etc. You can easily learn these yourself or if you want to Lightroom to do it automatically there are presets you can click (or download custom ones) which do this same thing for you on one click too.
But you’ll get better results in the long run once you have a better handle of your camera. Keep practicing! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now