Talk

Advanced search

Die cutting machines for beginner paper crafters

(18 Posts)
bootygirl Sun 05-Nov-17 20:18:37

I am looking at the Sissix Big shot online. Live in Ireland so ordering from hobbycraft as it's best price and delivery charges.
It would be Xmas gift from DH.

I am just wondering as dies are expensive are they worth it... I do some scrap booking (smashbooks) and creative journaling. I want to get into making cards but tbh we only send about 30+cards a year. So any advise??

Snafflebrain Sat 11-Nov-17 09:22:30

There are cheaper for options if you go for other brands than Sizzix which would help with costs. Also have you looked at the computer options like a Cricut explore? Especially if you are handy with a pc you can make your designs for free (lots of YouTube tutorials on the software you can use) You can pick up the Air machines secondhand for an ok price - probably not much more than a big shot + the dies. I went for an electronic cutter as I didn’t want to buy a metal die every time I started a new project. I don’t make a lot of cards but I also cut fabric for appliqué projects, vinyl and make small gift boxes etc so it’s very flexible and cuts larger than a Big Shot

If you are only interested in a few card shapes for cards another option might be to buy the precut shapes from eBay and Etsy sellers - although I appreciate if you are in Ireland the postage charges might be more.

AWholeLottaRosie Sun 12-Nov-17 20:35:37

Sizzix machines last forever so if you want to get into manual die-cutting they are the best brand in my experience (I’ve had just about every machine on the market bar the Cameo/Silhouette type).

I’ve been buying dies for over 15 years and they’re actually cheaper now than they have ever been. If you want mega-cheap then China is the place to buy from, either via eBay or AliExpress. A set of nesting dies typically about £2 including p&p but you do have to factor in a longer wait for them to arrive.

bootygirl Sun 19-Nov-17 09:58:59

awholelotta thanks for replies.
Looking at hobbycraft have good prices not sure if I should use my 15% off first order or wait for Black Friday.??

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 19-Nov-17 10:15:06

Love my Big Shot and use it loads. You can emboss as well as cut. I also cut fabric as well as paper and card.

Places like The Range, The Works sell dies from £1.99+, eBay from even less than a pound (from Hong Kong but worth the 3 week wait).

You don’t have to limit yourself to card making either. I’m doing my gift cards with it this year. I’ve also made framed pictures and bunting with mine.

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 19-Nov-17 10:16:07

Looking at hobbycraft have good prices not sure if I should use my 15% off first order or wait for Black Friday.??

I did both at the same time so had the 2 discounts!

bootygirl Mon 20-Nov-17 21:40:03

watchingfrom that's a good idea 💡

Allgirlskidsanddogs Mon 20-Nov-17 21:45:24

I wouldn’t buy a die cutting machine unless restricted by budget. I’d recommend a Cricut machine, then you can cut the same image in whatever size you choose. You can find many images free to download online.
The newest machine is the Cricut Maker and is £££, but the Cricut Explore is not so much. The Cricut are more expensive to begin with, but far more adaptive.

bootygirl Mon 20-Nov-17 22:36:33

allgirl circuit is out of my budget

ElephantsandTigers Tue 21-Nov-17 17:41:59

I asked about die cutting machines in Hobbycraft today and the assistant suggested I waited until Black Friday, but wasn't saying there would definitely would be a discount for them.

bootygirl Tue 21-Nov-17 20:55:18

Thanks elephant

ElephantsandTigers Wed 22-Nov-17 21:03:48

Just looked. £35 down from £50.

ElephantsandTigers Wed 22-Nov-17 21:04:40

more here

bootygirl Thu 23-Nov-17 08:11:48

elephant thanks it was only €6 off but I still bought it! Got cutter reduced to €17 and thanks to your tip the 15% disounct off my whole order total saving of €45!!!!
Happy days. 😂😂😂

ElephantsandTigers Thu 23-Nov-17 10:50:16

That's great! Now all I need is the card in the size I want but can't find and then I'll be happy too grin.

bootygirl Thu 23-Nov-17 18:51:14

elephant I m only starting out. So I got premade kraft cards.

I ve tried making some but. Not quite what I want yet. Any recommendations for you tube videos?

BeautifulRedBoots Thu 23-Nov-17 18:59:34

I have a Big Shot Plus and a Brother Scan n Cut. The YouTubers I recommend are ScrapbookingMadeSimple (really informative and helpful, but very long) and Jennifer McGuire ink - really incredible designs.
Dies can be expensive, but I shop around, and you soon learn how to get more use from each one.

ElephantsandTigers Thu 23-Nov-17 20:45:38

I could just cut the A4 size card I have to size but not sure it's economical. I won't buy envelopes without matching cards again!

I buy Making Special Cards magazine and it's a bit expensive but as I get more confident I make quite a few cards from the pack. I can't remember the name of the card magazine I used to buy years ago but it was the best one. They stopped doing them as not economical anymore.

I have a Fiskar card cutter which is well worth the money.

Dies were on offer on the Hobbycraft site iirc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: