Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Die cutting machines for beginner paper crafters

(3 Posts)
bootygirl Sun 05-Nov-17 20:18:37

I am looking at the Sissix Big shot online. Live in Ireland so ordering from hobbycraft as it's best price and delivery charges.
It would be Xmas gift from DH.

I am just wondering as dies are expensive are they worth it... I do some scrap booking (smashbooks) and creative journaling. I want to get into making cards but tbh we only send about 30+cards a year. So any advise??

Snafflebrain Sat 11-Nov-17 09:22:30

There are cheaper for options if you go for other brands than Sizzix which would help with costs. Also have you looked at the computer options like a Cricut explore? Especially if you are handy with a pc you can make your designs for free (lots of YouTube tutorials on the software you can use) You can pick up the Air machines secondhand for an ok price - probably not much more than a big shot + the dies. I went for an electronic cutter as I didn’t want to buy a metal die every time I started a new project. I don’t make a lot of cards but I also cut fabric for appliqué projects, vinyl and make small gift boxes etc so it’s very flexible and cuts larger than a Big Shot

If you are only interested in a few card shapes for cards another option might be to buy the precut shapes from eBay and Etsy sellers - although I appreciate if you are in Ireland the postage charges might be more.

AWholeLottaRosie Sun 12-Nov-17 20:35:37

Sizzix machines last forever so if you want to get into manual die-cutting they are the best brand in my experience (I’ve had just about every machine on the market bar the Cameo/Silhouette type).

I’ve been buying dies for over 15 years and they’re actually cheaper now than they have ever been. If you want mega-cheap then China is the place to buy from, either via eBay or AliExpress. A set of nesting dies typically about £2 including p&p but you do have to factor in a longer wait for them to arrive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now