Talk

Advanced search

Patchwork anyone? Finished a quilt!

(14 Posts)
sooperdooper Wed 01-Nov-17 14:56:50

I've finally finished my first patchwork quilt smile

It's toddler size, for my niece & some of the fabric was from my mums stash, she died 2 years ago so I wanted to make something that was a keepsake - wish I could show my mum too sad

It's taken forever! Anyone else do any patchwork?

Yetanothernamechange1234 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:21:06

It's gorgeous! Any tips? I've had one on the go for years; lose enthusiasm and run out of material now so need to buy more and undo what I've already sewn up x

13luckyblackcats Wed 01-Nov-17 15:24:31

That’s gorgeous, well done! I have a done a bu over the years, I think you’ve inspired me to take on a new project. How old is your niece? She will treasure that for years to come.

sooperdooper Wed 01-Nov-17 15:36:56

Thank you smile

I've read quite a lot of blogs from Pinterest before starting & I lost interest for a while when I had to unpick loads of it which was pretty annoying!

She's 4, hope she likes it, I've sent my brother a photo but I'll save it for Christmas

sooperdooper Wed 01-Nov-17 15:38:42

13luckyblackcats have you done larger ones? I'm tempted but think it would be quite unwealdly!

Neverexpected2 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:55:18

That's lovely. I'm novice self taught sewer and only tried basic squares ones but did love them. Would love to try something a bit more complex like this

sooperdooper Wed 01-Nov-17 18:57:07

If you can do basic squares it's not that complicated, the sets of x9 squares are cut into quarters, switches about and re-sewed.

I followed a few patterns from Pinterest, give it a go smile

Craftsandcakes Thu 02-Nov-17 13:31:18

I've made a patchwork tree skirt for Christmas and I made a patchwork quilt for my parents for their sitting room I've only started sewing I'm the last few months and am loving it

yaela123 Wed 22-Nov-17 07:50:38

I don't do patchwork (yet?) but that look amazing OP! I'm sure your niece will love it for years to come.

liz70 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:10:21

I have a bag of precut patchwork squares somewhere that I haven't got round to using yet. along with the set of Tunisian crochet hooks, tatting shuttles etc. etc.

Do you just sew them onto a plain cotton duvet cover, with a duvet inside, then stitch that up? Or something along those lines?

MaudAndOtherPoems Wed 29-Nov-17 17:15:36

Those are lovely. A friend taught me how to do log cabin pattern and now I've taught myself other patterns from Pinterest. It's quite addictive!

AliceWhatsth3Matter Wed 29-Nov-17 17:21:50

I've just discovered a stash of fabric which was my mother's. She died over 10 years ago.

I haven't made any patchwork for forty years but as soon as I saw the fabrics I thought "Patchwork!".

Never thought of a Pinterest for ideas. Thanks OP, you're inspiring.

Gingernaut Wed 29-Nov-17 17:22:27

I go to a craft club in an adult education place.

I have over a dozen cross stitch WIPs and have utterly lost my stitching mojo. 😭

The class leader has seen me struggling over a tiny project which I have fucked up miscounted on so many occasions that it's taken me months to get within sight of finishing. 😱

In the New Year, she's made me promise to put down the cross stitch and start sewing a simple patchwork cushion cover. 🤔

I suspect it'll take me the rest of the year! 😣

Well done for finishing, OP. It looks lovely. 😍

StandardLampski Wed 29-Nov-17 17:23:46

I do. Love it. Well done... but a warning! It's very addictive. I dread to think how much fabric I have stashed away with plans in my head!! Here's a wee pic of my not quite finished latest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now