Talk

Advanced search

Beginner Knitter- What after scarves?

(44 Posts)
SallyLockhartsDog Thu 19-Oct-17 21:29:45

Have made 5/6 scarves now ...felt a bit bored so bought a striped shawl pattern & mohair yarn..have just put it it away after almost crying in frustration. It is too much of a leap from basic scarf! (Never done stripes or k1 in to next st confused and mohair is a nightmare)

What would you suggest as a sensible next project? smile

Out2pasture Thu 19-Oct-17 21:33:45

Touques, hats. Hats for the homeless. Purple baby hats to remind help prevent shaken baby syndrome.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 19-Oct-17 21:34:12

Hats, that is what I have moved on to.

healthyheart Thu 19-Oct-17 21:34:49

Hi Sally how about wrist warmers or how about baby blanket or a simple baby jacket on say 4mm or 5mm needles.

Tamatoa Thu 19-Oct-17 21:35:07

Hot water bottle covers! Nearly winter now...

woollyminded Thu 19-Oct-17 21:41:01

Wrist warmers are a good way to build skills -

www.loveknitting.com/easy-peasy-wrist-warmers-knitting-pattern-by-ruth-maddock#materials

feltmagnet.com/textiles-sewing/How-to-Knit-Easy-Armwarmers

Those patterns are knitted flat (2 needles) but I recommend getting yourself onto 4 needles as soon as you can so that you can knit in the round. That way lies socks which I think are the bloody beeskness of knitting projects!

SallyLockhartsDog Thu 19-Oct-17 21:47:12

Thanks all flowers

I do like the idea of hats & wrist warmers. Will look up some patterns. I do find the finding pattern/yarn/right needles a bit overwhelming. Would love to just buy a kit that had everything in it already!!

Slightly frightened of the prospect of a baby jacket but have a new baby arriving in the family soon smile

Tamara you are a genius - I have been racking my brains for something to knit for DH for Christmas fgrin

Where do you all get patterns from?

SallyLockhartsDog Thu 19-Oct-17 21:47:54

Wooly - 4 needles shock

Redken24 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:50:29

Sorry to hijack - I'd like to knit a big woolen stocking is scarves where everyone usually start's?

Tamatoa Thu 19-Oct-17 21:51:16

Revelry for patterns! We probably won't see you again once you get on that site! Addictive as FUCK.

woollyminded Thu 19-Oct-17 21:55:38

When you start with four needles it does feel like you are in a points based wrestling match with a spider but it settle down quickly - I promise! It's exactly what you already do (same stitches) and actually you only ever have two in play at any time, just like flat knitting. It looks way more complicated than it really is. There used to do courses in John Lewis. Don't know if they still do.

In many places in Europe (and at Steiner schools I think) little children are started on four needles straight away, two needles later.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Thu 19-Oct-17 21:57:31

Try something like this:

https://www.sewinlove.com.au/2014/01/14/free-baby-hat-knitting-pattern-pom-poms-garter-stitch-only/

Dead easy. I made something similar for DD last year. Using multicolour yarn makes it colourful without having to knit stripes. I recommend Robin Paintbox DK. It's a joy to knit with - lovely and soft and comes in fab colour combos.

woollyminded Thu 19-Oct-17 21:57:43

Redken - nah, find a simple stocking pattern and just jump in. I think scarves can get boring very quickly, especially if you'd rather be doing something else. Can you cast on and off, knit and purl, increase and decrease? If yes, then your done, get onto to the stocking.

TheInimitableMrsFanshawe Thu 19-Oct-17 21:59:30

I use 4needles for some things but you can now get small circular needles to make things like the legs of socks and writer warmers. Or you could teach yourself the magic loop technique from YouTube.

woollyminded Thu 19-Oct-17 22:03:10

MrsF - I very happy on 4 needles and circulars but I CANNOT get my head around magic loop, have tried really hard because so many people say it's the whizz. Got a total block on it!

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 20-Oct-17 06:58:42

I had my first go at 4 needles last week, a bit fiddly to start with but fine once I got my head round it, I have moved in to cable stitch now and knitting a cushion. I found a great knitting group which is a knit and knitter but an,overly lady on hand to help with new stitches and when it goes wrong!

Athrawes Fri 20-Oct-17 07:12:31

Baby blankets using a nice yarn and a simple stitch like maybe 10 knit 10 purl for 10 rows then change the order so you get a checkerboard texture. Moss stitch border. Choose a nice bamboo yarn which will be soft for baby.
Or a simple triangular shawl ;check raveley; so you can practice simple increases before you get into 4 needle hat palaver!

SallyLockhartsDog Fri 20-Oct-17 09:18:44

Thanks!

I think I will do:
A simple shawl (increase practice)
Stripey wrist warmers (practice changing colours)
A hat (something new!)

Then will be back for more ideas grin

Polter Fri 20-Oct-17 15:20:39

I really like Martina Behm's scarf/shawl patterns (on Ravelry), which vary in difficulty but tend to be fairly repetitive without being dull.

SallyLockhartsDog Fri 20-Oct-17 16:12:04

I went it to two wool shops today but got overwhelmed and bought nothing!!

Do you buy yarn you love and then find a pattern or the other way around?

Polter Fri 20-Oct-17 17:05:38

I buy yarn for my stash as and when I see something I like, or if I'm buying for a project in mind and need to add something to get free postage I'll add a ball of sock yarn or similar. I stash patterns as PDFs or in my Ravelry library. Then when I fancy making something I see what I've got and usually buy more yarn match up yarn and patterns. I don't tend to make things where tension is important so can easily substitute yarn.

FlaviaAlbia Fri 20-Oct-17 17:13:12

I tend to do both, I find patterns on Ravelry and use their yarn suggestions, but I also get sucked into to buying wool because I see it and it's soft and lovely and then have to find a pattern to make with it grin

I have a set of interchangeable circular needles. I love them so much.

I moved onto baby cardigans after scarves because I figured it wouldn't take long and I'd get used to the different stitches. I relied heavily on YouTube at the start and stitch of the day is a brilliant site for video demos and diagrams of stitches.

woollyminded Fri 20-Oct-17 17:17:36

Hell yes, happens all the time! A good yarn shop can be absolutely overwhelming. Usually the women (sometimes a man, just to be fair) are delighted to help so enlist them. The wrap on the ball will say what size needle is recommended so match that to what your pattern recommends, for the things you are planning I should think that would be technical enough for now. Probably DK weight is good for the things you have listed above.

The shop lady will tell you if it will wash well, if easy or hard to work with etc. They're all about repeat business, they know we knitters get fiercely territorial so they will be keen to get it right for you and get you into the fold.

barnacharmer Fri 20-Oct-17 17:19:27

Just made a couple of baby sized ones of this www.tincanknits.com/pattern-SC-harvest.html
It's a free pattern and I had only made scarves and blankets previously. I thought I should move onto something not rectangular. I found it pretty easy after youtubing some stitches. I bought teeny circular needles for the rounds because that other method melted my brain a bit

woollyminded Fri 20-Oct-17 17:49:23

Oo those are nice patterns Barna, good link. I clicked through to the knitting teachers - simple knit (at the bottom of the page), Sally-dog, have a look at the shawl pattern in there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now