Talk

Advanced search

Would someone like to critique my crochet?

(30 Posts)
Alabasterangel6 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:39:55

I'd be grateful for honest points to improve, or whether this is roughly how it should look.

I've managed granny squares and amugurami (although the latter does seem more 'rustic' than I would have liked) and have moved into other things.

This is the start of a windowpane scarf, so treble and half treble mostly.

Just wondering if it should look neater and sharper somehow. Or is it just practise. Some of the woolly hugs squares I see are just so uniform and neat and I feel a long way from that!

JasonDerulo Wed 18-Oct-17 18:42:10

Can’t crochet to save my life but I think it looks grand! I love the colours

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 18:43:29

It looks really good. Once you've finished and blocked it you'll be amazed.

LouLouLoupee Wed 18-Oct-17 18:44:12

I think it looks fab! My crochet isn’t up to great standards so i can’t critique, I’m hoping it’s one of those things that just comes in time.

I love the yarn, what is it?

Shutupanddance1 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:47:36

Looks good! Only thing would be to watch your tension on the woolsmile

Alabasterangel6 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:01:30

Thank you. It was the only yarn I could get
my hands on quickly while I wait for an internet delivery! I only have 'the range' and it's a small store, but it's this yarn :

www.therange.co.uk/hobbies-crafts/haberdashery/knitting/lily-sugar-n-cream-ombre-knitting-yarn?gclid=Cj0KCQjw95vPBRDVARIsAKvPd3KUT2hR77mrr1a_ie-fINNhXiQnvEk7nqWdHHqgyYqlQo4e4jZPxEAaAo23EALw_wcB

I haven't a clue how tension gets better, or how you aim to improve it. Sometimes it just 'flows' and other times I have to really concentrate. I presume a lot of that comes from how you hold and feed the yarn - I still find myself varying how that happens rather than being consistent.

Blocking - yes. Never did that with my granny squares as they seemed not to need it! But this sort of pattern will need it. Does it hold in the long term?

Thank you!

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 19:03:13

I think if you block it afterwards the edges will neaten up. You can order some good wool online, the wool quality makes such a difference to how things look and feel.

Kissisforpirate Wed 18-Oct-17 19:05:22

I think it is gorgeous!

TKRedLemonade Wed 18-Oct-17 19:06:20

Ok now interrupting question what is blocking as also a crochet newbie

crookedhooker Wed 18-Oct-17 19:06:53

Count your stitches as you go its so easy to add one or loss one. Tension will get better with practice. Blocking on even acrylic makes a huge difference. Otherwise just enjoy no piece is ever perfect.

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 19:07:17

I've made quite a few and they come up lovely in Noro and Zauberballe sock yarns.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 18-Oct-17 19:08:54

That looks ok to me. I've made that pattern and it came out beautifully, but it does lean to one side. I haven't blocked it yet (I'm a lazy mare), I'm blocking would cure the lean, but it's not noticeable when I'm wearing it anyway. On Ravelry a few people have said that they added tow rows of doubles instead of the row of half trebles so that it's a three row repeat rather than a two row repeat to prevent the lean. But I prefer it the way that it is in the pattern as the back and the front of the double-trebles would alternate in a three row repeat, and I prefer them to always look the same (all front on one side and back on the other). This is my windowpane scarf when it was about 20% done, I never got around to taking a final picture of it. www.ravelry.com/projects/nicolaagricola/windowpane-scarf

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 19:11:26

How to block...

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 19:12:08

This is Zauberballe yarn.

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Wed 18-Oct-17 19:12:10

That’ll be fine after a bit of blocking.

TKRedLemonade Wed 18-Oct-17 19:12:29

Thanks

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 19:13:28

Showing mine so you can see that even though it looks a bit wibbly close up, as a whole it looks fine.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 18-Oct-17 19:15:25

TK, have a look on YouTube for 'blocking knitting'. It's a way of stretching out the finished item so that it's lacier and the stitches are clearer. There are different methods depending on what sort of yarn you are using. There are also different ways of pinning it out, I use wire and pins, some people use just pins.

In my pictures, pic 1 is before blocking, pic 2 is pinned out being blocked and pick 3 is after blocking. You can see it really opens up the fancy border bit.

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 19:15:53

Oh I bloody love zauberballe yarn.

iamdivergent Wed 18-Oct-17 19:16:31

Looks great. Also love the yarn! Just started out here, seems a million miles away before I'll be able to make a scarf as lovely as yours.

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 19:16:39

That's beautiful.

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 19:17:26

I do too Caulk, and it's just perfect for this scarf.

Theweasleytwins Wed 18-Oct-17 19:20:37

Looks good👍🏻love using variegated yarn

Personally I do a lot of amigurumi

Alabasterangel6 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:35:07

Oh polter that yarn is beautiful (and your work). I've been eyeing up the red heart boutique unforgettable yarns - 'stained glass' is very similar and I've ordered some. Now I'll have to order yours too! I fancy joining this round to make a double cowl type thing. I wear those a lot and I thought this colour would be nice with a plain white shirt.

But speechless at blacks work - eons away from that!!!!!

weasley they are very cute. Was going to sneakily make a few tiny tiny amigurumi to poke inside DC's stockings!

Brittbugs80 Sun 22-Oct-17 12:53:02

Will definitely neaten up after blocking. Looks good!

Inside blocking board by Daisy ok but you can use anything like foam mats (the kind children have) or even a mattress if you have one on a spare bed.

Also, with blocking, I used to wet it, pat it dry and block until dry but I have discovered since that dry blocking works better and giving a fine mist than a full soak.

I think that's down to preference though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now