Talk

Advanced search

Reading complicated crochet patterns

(14 Posts)
Uncooperativefingers Sun 15-Oct-17 18:39:00

I taught myself to crochet a few years ago now and have found my niche creating amigurumi animals. Wanting a challenge, i've picked up a more complicated pattern for a flamingo with lacey feathers (crocheted wild animals by vanessa moonchie) and i'm really struggling to understand what I need to do.

For all of you much more proficient crochetters, how did you make the leap from simple patterns to those that are more involved? I don't know anyone irl who can read the pattern either!

mummmy2017 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:46:19

You need to count the stitches, and work out what it wants you to do.
don't be scared of youtubing the stitches if your stuck...

tizwozliz Sun 15-Oct-17 19:54:19

Is it a written pattern or a diagram pattern?

I've made reasonably complex amugurumi but always following really clear instructions. I've looked at some patterns and not had a clue and all but the very simplest pattern written as a diagram leaves me struggling

Uncooperativefingers Sun 15-Oct-17 19:58:42

Thanks Mummy.

I'm fine with doing the basic stitches and knowing where I am in the pattern for basic projects, which is what all the blogs / books / YouTube seems to cover. To be clearer i've attached part of the pattern i'm struggling with (any help appreciated! smile) But I suppose i'm also asking for resources I can use to puzzle this stuff out for myself in future.

Wondering if i'm being too ambitious, but i'm fed up of simply working in the round!

Akire Sun 15-Oct-17 19:59:15

Have to admit defeat sometimes. Try posting a few lines here and maybe we can get you going?

Uncooperativefingers Sun 15-Oct-17 20:00:24

Tiz, I have it written as both, but the diagram seems even more confusing than the writing! confused

tizwozliz Sun 15-Oct-17 20:18:34

That does look fairly complex, once patterns start talking about posts I'm lost! I have a lovely pattern for a leaf shaped table mat which I've given up on as I cannot work out the middle bit.

This is probably the most complex thing I've made and it's described as medium advanced but the pattern is more straightforward than what you have posted imo.

Hopefully someone more experienced can help out, but it looks like you've skipped straight to expert from beginner.

blahdeblah04 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:18:37

I’ve had a go at a part of the pattern and this is what I’ve come up with. One feather.

Have you ever done crocodile stitch?
There are loads of tutorials for it and it is very similar.
HTH

blahdeblah04 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:19:58

That’s awesome tiz

ChipInTheSugar Sun 15-Oct-17 20:35:18

I try and rewrite it, picturing doing each stitch as I write. Each stitch written on a fresh line seems to break it up, and it doesn’t seem so overwhelming actually hooking it after that!

Uncooperativefingers Sun 15-Oct-17 22:38:04

Oh wow blah! That's great! I've redone it for about the millionth time and am getting closer to how yours looks. It's very helpful having a close up pic of one feather like that (the book only has the whole flamingo). I think this pattern might take me a while! grin

I also love your creation tiz! Super cute!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Uncooperativefingers Sun 15-Oct-17 22:44:05

And great tip chip, will definitely remember that for the rest of the however many rows there are (I don't dare look at exactly how many are left...)

blahdeblah04 Sun 15-Oct-17 22:53:12

Glad to help. smile

Here’s a link to a tutorial on crocodile stitch, as although the stitches used are different the technique is the same.

Hope you get there in the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4in7seykYc

mummmy2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:28:09

How are you doing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now