Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Free / low cost activities I can do to cheer us all up?

(13 Posts)
stirling Fri 13-Oct-17 23:14:44

Kids and I have been going through a rough time this year with their dad moving out and being abusive.
I've tried to create some happy times for the 3 of us, but often lack energy.

Any suggestions for things I can do at home with them that won't cost much, and are easy to follow? I can't knit/sew etc and I'm not very crafty but will try to learn something if you recommend it.
So far we: do origami (with Ds 12) and colouring (with DD 10), have movie nights and play a few board games.

Sadly, I used to be a primary school teacher about 20 years ago. I loved being creative with my pupils. I've forgotten every single activity /lesson and simply turned into a boring mum. Which doesn't help the (at times) sombre atmosphere at home.

Any simple suggestions.?
Thanks in advance
Also posting in another board

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 13-Oct-17 23:17:27

Autumn is a good time to collect leaves, conkers etc and make various art works out of them, it has the added bonus of getting out the house for a nice walk as well.

Pumpkin carving

Baking Halloween themed biscuits and things.

Make a Halloween pinata out of Papier mache.

OurMiracle1106 Fri 13-Oct-17 23:19:01

Chocolate rice crispy cakes
Cakes
Hand prints
Painting
Nice walk in nature maybe doing spot the wildlife
Bike ride
Board games

stirling Fri 13-Oct-17 23:22:06

Thanks great suggestions. Yes we do walks in Trent Park.

Highlove Sat 14-Oct-17 11:11:45

Cooking pretty much anything with them? With the double bonus that if you're lacking energy, you kill two birds with one stone: family time together and feeding them! It's also a great life skill if they can knock up cheap, nutritious meals. Get them thinking about what they want eat/cool, looking up recipes in books or on the internet (BBC Good Good is great and has lots of kids stuff, though at their ages yours might be beyond that), helping you buy it, etc.

Sounds like a tough year flowers

stirling Sat 14-Oct-17 12:45:05

Thanks Highlove, and yes it's been rough to say the least!

GetMeOut Sun 15-Oct-17 12:24:01

Pizza making including making the dough. Also, bread making. Cheap and fun and you get something good to eat. Even the pre mix packs are good value and an easy intro.

Mammasmitten Sat 21-Oct-17 13:13:19

Put on some music you all like and have a dance party smile

SallyLockhartsDog Sat 21-Oct-17 13:19:05

Get in to every celebration regardless of culture...
Diwali with oil lamps (homemade or just tealights) look up recipe for an authentic meal you can all eat together. YouTube some music.

Repeat for Halloween, Chinese New Year, All Saints day etc

Activity Village has great themed notepaper (for menus, short stories) starters for acrostic poem etc. for loads of different holidays and sends you an email with the upcoming dates to plan for.

tomatopuree Sun 22-Oct-17 13:12:48

If you draw a lions face you can stick leaves onto the back and use it as his mane.

Handprint snowmen, Santa’s etc

Hawkmoth Sun 22-Oct-17 13:15:06

Well we're going to attempt papier-mâché mache pumpkins.

Blow up ballooon to about five inches. Put elastic bands over for the ridges.

Papier-mâché one day, painting another and led tealights for the final effect.

BishopstonFaffing Sun 22-Oct-17 13:19:22

Have fake takeaway nights - we do Italian, so homemade pizza, doughballs, Caesar salad. Indian - curry, pilau rice, poppadums, naan. Chinese - chow mein, spring rolls, egg fried rice.

Make as many bits as possible from scratch and make an effort to decorate the table etc.

I'm sorry you've been having a crappy time. I hope things look up for you.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Mon 23-Oct-17 21:16:07

Make a pom pom garland - use cheap wool and make pom poms by wrapping wool around a cardboard inner.

Join pom poms up with a crocheted chain (or just a long piece of wool) then hang proudly in your bedroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now