Talk

Advanced search

Realistically, how easy is it to learn to crochet?

(30 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 21-Sep-17 16:53:01

I've been thinking about it for a while, and now I'm pregnant I thought it might be nice to attempt to make baby a blanket, or is this unrealistic? grin I'm only 8 weeks so I have a while to get to grips with it!

Annwithnoe Thu 21-Sep-17 20:47:29

I struggled with knitting as a child in school. My speciality was scarves with wonky edges and lumps where I randomly added and lost stitches.
I taught myself to crochet from a library book when I was eleven. The basics are very easy. And now there's you tube.
I've never got the hang of the fine lacey stuff with my fat fingers but woolly throws are a doddle. Go for it!

JacquettaW Thu 21-Sep-17 20:52:20

Go for it! I learnt to crochet much faster than I did knitting. Check out bellacoco on YouTube. She does tutorials that are really easy to follow. Easiest stitch to learn first is the double crochet (DC)

OneGreyElephantBalancing Thu 21-Sep-17 20:53:06

Once you get the knack of holding the yarn and tension it's pretty easy.
Look at Bella coco tutorials on you tube. Really good beginners stuff. I started a year ago and love it.
Good luck. smile

OneGreyElephantBalancing Thu 21-Sep-17 20:53:47

Great minds Jaquetta !

Whereabouts are you, @SexLubeAndAFishSlice?

If you are anywhere near me (Paisley), I'll happily show you how to crochet (and knit, if you like).

If I were you, I'd start with simple granny squares - as others have said, there are good YouTube tutorials, and you can sew or crochet them together into a blanket - I find it hard to crochet neat edges, if I am doing a long strip of crochet, but doing squares means the edges automatically come out tidier.

Also, crocheting a granny square doesn't take long, and you can get a sense of achievement from finishing one, whereas crocheting a bigger blanket means long rows, which take longer, so it doesn't feel as if it is growing as fast.

VioletCharlotte Thu 21-Sep-17 21:09:39

I'be got a real urge to crochet too so joining this thread in the hope of picking up some tips smile

Ecclesiastes Thu 21-Sep-17 21:12:05

Crochet is the crack cocaine of handicrafts. Be warned.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Thu 21-Sep-17 21:15:05

So easy, and I'm left handed and all thumbs no fingers

Just finished my first blanked and really chuffed with myself.
Mine is a big granny square life the photo (but not quite as nice).
One thing I would suggest is something less holey for a baby so their fingers don't poke through the holes iyswim

MothershipG Thu 21-Sep-17 21:18:36

My 2017 resolution was to teach myself to crochet and I have! I mainly used books, there are loads in the library, and a bit of you tube.

I started off practicing the different stitches, there aren’t many, then worked through a book of different patterns and styles. Then I made all my little pieces into a random, wonky, freeform throw. 😂😂

I am currently attempting my first bit of clothing, a little baby hoody.

I found it quite frustrating at first and was all fingers and thumbs but it’s definitely worth persevering as it really isn’t that hard once you get the hang of it.

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 21-Sep-17 21:19:56

I can make the same offer as @SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius

If you are anywhere in N Northants or bits of Leicestershire I can help with lessons @SexLubeAndAFishSlice

Ttbb Thu 21-Sep-17 21:22:00

It's extremely easy. Take about an hour to learn if someone e helps you.

VioletCharlotte Thu 21-Sep-17 21:23:53

Wow winner that's lovely, fantastic smile

I'm going to look online over the weekend for some tutorials

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 22-Sep-17 07:42:51

Thank you SDTG and TheWoolly, that's very kind! But I'm in Lincolnshire which is a bit far from either of you I think smile

I'll look up Bella Coco, thanks!

ClinkyMonkey Fri 22-Sep-17 13:15:45

I have been knitting for years, but always wanted to crochet. I tried a couple of times, but couldn't get the hang of using one needle instead of two. Then, a couple of months ago, I just thought 'I'm gonna do this if it bloody kills me!' Bit dramatic, me ....

I think the difference this time was that I just accepted I wouldn't get it right away and there would be loads of false starts and frantic unravelling. And there was plenty of that. But something just clicked. I learned from a combination of YouTube and a library book.

I now have a lot of squares! But it is fantastic to learn a new skill. Once you get it, you'll be flying and a blanket is definitely a realistic goal.

SoupDragon Fri 22-Sep-17 15:50:40

I taught myself with this book (this is a link to a used one, there is a revised edition available though)

SoupDragon Fri 22-Sep-17 15:51:06

I found it pretty easy (but I never managed to learn to knit!!)

TotalCrochetAddict Fri 22-Sep-17 23:28:11

I always knitted could not get crochet!

Am now totally addicted since learning Amigurumi in March, now making lovely blankets.

A few friends and myself started a group called TOFT creations on FB, mostly aimed at their animals but we do also talk loads about blankets and things couple of people are just getting into it. There are a few threads dedicated to different things.

If you wanted to join someone is always around to help 😊

tizwozliz Sat 23-Sep-17 13:57:04

Crocheting is the easy part, deciding on a pattern and colours is what takes me forever smile

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 25-Sep-17 14:08:26

Okay, so today I went to Boyes and purchased a ball of (green) yarn for the grand sum of £1.95, and a 5mm hook which I suspect is probably too big because I'm having difficulty with trying to poke it through chains, I must have started and unravelled the beginnings of a granny square at least 20 times confused

Fluffythefish Mon 25-Sep-17 15:10:14

5mm is a bit big unless it is chunky wool. 4mm is probably the best size to start with. I think learning to crochet is like learning to drive a car. To start with you think you will never co-ordinate hands, hook and wool but suddenly it just clicks. I found it grim for a week and then suddenly, I got it!

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 25-Sep-17 15:28:03

So I've now ended up with a 4.5 and a 3.5 because the shop was clean out of 4's, so I'll see how I go later! Also spotted this cute little sewing kit, thought it would be good for 6yo DD to have a go at. At £1 you can't really say no grin

Theweasleytwins Mon 25-Sep-17 15:35:36

I'm doing lots of amigurumi at the moment-toy making. Here are some sloths. Very easy to make

RB68 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:36:29

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. I would use the bigger hook as you tend to crochet a bit tight to start with - remember if you are following a pattern though it will likely turn out bigger. I retaught myself about 3 yrs ago and have loved it as a break from knitting. I find the key thing is getting colours right

RB68 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:37:48

Toft are based nr me and I like their animals but I am a blankets girl :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now