Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Putty to make shell/pebble plant pots

(12 Posts)
Bodypumpaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 10:54:37

When I was little, we used to gather shells on the beach with my grandma and stick them on plant pots with putty. Wanting to make similar pots now. Probably sounds a silly question, but do you think I need to use a particular kind of putty? I can't remember if they used to dry hard- but that is obviously what I would like, so we can use the plant pots. Plan to use terracotta pots I think unless any better suggestions? Thanks

Excitedforxmas Wed 14-Jun-17 11:01:06

I used plyfiller

Bodypumpaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 11:06:33

Thanks excited.
I'll try that.

ArtyBat Wed 14-Jun-17 11:08:04

Are you planning to cover the whole of the pots?

In any case I wouldn't use putty as it's not a glue as such. Better to go for a silicone glue - something like 'no Nails' or 'serious stuff' which is strong and durable (find it in B&Q). This glue is white so unless you want it to show, be careful where you apply it, as it's tricky to clean off.

Bodypumpaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 11:18:28

Yes Arty the whole of the pots and then push the pebbles/shells in
Right, will try these as an alternative.

Bodypumpaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 11:23:53

Arty - id like there to be a bit of white showing between the items- like with a mosaic. Will these products work like that?

ArtyBat Wed 14-Jun-17 11:46:41

You could cover a section of the pot with some silicone then push the shells in, though I don't know how smooth the silicone would appear.

Alternatively, you could seal the shells first with a sealant, then glue them with the silicone to the pots, and leave to dry. Then you could grout them. There is a range of coloured grout available - and of course white.
Grouting will add to the water/weather resistance of the mosaic, though won't make them weatherproof - nothing is that, as eventually the weather will win.

If you are using terracotta or unglazed pots and plan to use them as planters you will need to seal the insides of the pots before use. This is because terracotta/ unglazed surfaces are porous and will let water (either from rain or soil in the pot) through to the outer side of the pot (if that makes sense).
Better still to put plants in a separate and slightly smaller pot and stand that inside your decorated one.

Be good to know how you get on smile

Bodypumpaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 13:11:01

Thanks Arty.
I think I'll try what you've suggested.
So I just need to buy either No Nails or Serious Stuff, and I can seal the shells/ stones first with this AND glue them on to the pots with it?
Will it make the items shiny do you think?
Not planning to put actual plants in I don't think- but if we did, could I seal with the same product or would I need something else do you think?
Thanks so much for your advice.

Bodypumpaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 13:12:05

Oh and I'll buy coloured grouting too

Thank you

ArtyBat Wed 14-Jun-17 13:57:32

No Nails/Serious stuff is a thick white silicone GLUE so they can be used to glue the shells on to the pots.

SEALANT is a clear liquid coating that dries onto the surface you've brushed it onto (look in the tiling sections of DIY stores for this). You need to coat your shells with it if you're going to use grout, as if you don't, then the grout will get into all the little crevasses and cracks of the shell.

GROUT is a cement based filler (like inbetween kitchen/bathroom tiles) and is often used in mosaics . It fills in the spaces between tiles - or in your case, shells- and adds to the overall effect.
When ever I'm working out a new mosaic if there is something I'm not sure of I make a sample piece - about 10cm x 10cm first
So before you do the pots, why don't you do a bit of experimentation to see which you like best. EG

1glue some unsealed sealed shells onto thick card/board, allow to dry (24hours), then grout.

2Glue Sealed shells onto thick , card/board allow to dry(24hours), then grout.

3Apply thick layer of silicone onto card/board allow to set.

*Just be aware that even though I've said to leave silicone 24 hours before grouting, it does tend to go 'off' pretty quick depending on air temp'. So, if doing no'3 , do it in small areas at a time.

Bodypumpaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 14:54:51

Brilliant. Thank you Arty

ArtyBat Wed 14-Jun-17 14:56:46

You're welcome. Just give me a shout if you need anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now