Talk

Advanced search

Sass & belle diy crochet monkey help

(16 Posts)
0hCrepe Sun 07-May-17 20:53:50

Dd got this kit for children aged 7+ a while ago so I thought I'd have a stab as I can crochet and thought she'd never do it. However I don't understand the instructions at all! Has anyone done it? If I start with the head do I just do a square piece or make it round? It even says something about a caterpillar on the instructions! Really can't believe a 7 year old is supposed to be able to do this!

Jinglebells99 Mon 08-May-17 10:56:24

Those instructions are ridiculous.I crochet a lot and I can't make head nor tail of them. They don't actually give you the instructions to make a monkey there. There are lots of free patterns on Ravelry. I'd google and try and find a pattern, this is a free crochet cat, which I've made before

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/amineko-crocheted-cat

To make a round head, you need to crochet a ball.

0hCrepe Mon 08-May-17 15:03:58

Oh thank you! I was worried I was losing the plot! Can't believe they sell it. I might complain!
I'll try the cat instead thank you!

Jinglebells99 Mon 08-May-17 17:50:11

www.heartandsew.co.uk/2015/07/cheeky-little-monkey-free.html?m=1#.WRChAzx4WEc

Glad to be of help. Just had a look and found this monkey pattern that's free. Although I've made the amineko cat, the pattern is written in a different format to English patterns so the monkey might be easier to follow, if you haven't made amigurumi before.

0hCrepe Mon 08-May-17 19:03:22

I've made hats and some gloves and booties- not the neatest. I hoped something marketed for 7yr olds would suit a beginner! Thanks for taking the time to find me more suitable instructions. Looking forward to having a go!

SoupDragon Thu 11-May-17 09:20:56

I do understand them, I think. Basically you seem to make tubes and then pull one end tight with a draw string.

Box 15 tells you what length of chain to make for each body part, you then join this chain into a circle and crochet round and round in a spiral until you reach the length given in box 15.

0hCrepe Thu 11-May-17 09:26:01

Ok yes I thought that but how does that work with the face and not having a huge gathered lump somewhere at the back of the head? I'm quite well on with the other pattern now but still interested.

SoupDragon Thu 11-May-17 10:48:49

It looks like there is a gathered bit on the top of the monkeys head.

SoupDragon Thu 11-May-17 10:49:42

I guess that the gathered lumps aren't actually as big as you think they might be.

I'm resisting the temptation to try it out!

Jinglebells99 Thu 11-May-17 10:56:45

How's it going OhCrepe? Which one are you making? There is a lovely website called thelittleyellowduckproject.org/patterns/crochet-patterns/ which is about making little yellow ducks to leave for strangers to find as a random act of kindness in order to raise awareness of organ and blood donation. Lots of very cute duck knitting and crochet patterns that are quick to make and very cute.

0hCrepe Thu 11-May-17 11:05:34

I've got this far which is the head and then I did the mouth in brown as I'd run out of white but I think I need some more white and do it again. I need stuffing too and there's a shop nearby luckily.
Try it soupdragon! Got to admit its not 7yr old level? I'm a teacher and have had the joy of tying to untangle children's stitches bless them!

SoupDragon Thu 11-May-17 11:16:20

I think it possibly is 7 year old level as the whole "make tubes" construction is very simple. They'd need help with the instructions though.

However, the result is also going to be of a 7 year old level too!

0hCrepe Thu 11-May-17 11:24:11

Ok so for the head would I chain 40 then join and do rows till it's 8 cm long for example?

SoupDragon Thu 11-May-17 12:52:58

Yes, although you just work round in a spiral rather than rows so no counting beyond that first chain and thus easier for children I guess. Assuming they have an adult to translate the slightly vague instructions!!

liz70 Sat 13-May-17 01:14:37

You're basically constructing a sphere for the head, with a shallower hemisphere for the mouth, and tubes of varying lengths and circumferences for arms, legs and tail. So for the head you'd chain, say, 4 and ss together, then sc around in a spiral gradually increasing the no. of stitches per round until you reach the widest part of the sphere iyswim, then decrease down similarly until you have a small opening for stuffing. The mouth is just one half of the sphere, only it looks quite shallow so I'm guessing that the nunber of stitches per round will increase more rapidly than with the head. Legs you would ch. e.g. 16, ss tog then sc around continuously without increasing until your desired length then bind off and stitch opening. Same with other limbs and tail. The ears look like smaller flattened hemispheres.

I'm a relative beginner but I crocheted a cat (see pic) in this way, so I guess the basic principles are the same for a monkey. Bit tricky for a 7 year old, though, I'll grant you.

0hCrepe Sat 13-May-17 07:06:42

Hi yes that's what I've been doing with the pattern from jungle bells, it's different to the instructions in the pack though. Love the cat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now