Any ideas for sewing machine for 10yr old?

(13 Posts)
ChangingStates Tue 02-May-17 16:55:15

My dad is turning 10 and wants a sawing machine for her birthday, can anyone recommend anything that might be suitable?

We are both complete beginners so it only needs to be basic but I don't want a toy either. Also not prepared to spend lots as who knows whether the interest will last, is it possible to get something decent for £60ish...?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
ChangingStates Tue 02-May-17 20:01:14

I mean dd not dad shock

BarchesterFlowers Tue 02-May-17 20:05:28

A Singer 99k. DD has had mine since she was 8 and loves it.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Singer-99K-Hand-Operated-Sewing-Machine-with-Hard-Case-VGC-/391762739736?hash=item5b36e10218:g:uAEAAOSwBOtY~Fla

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 02-May-17 20:15:18

A proper one, not a 'toy' one. DS2 had one for his 10th birthday and it has given him a great deal of joy. It's just a very basic electric one, but it's really very good.

fernanie Tue 02-May-17 20:21:29

John Lewis does this one which is very good and really easy to use:
www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-mini-sewing-machine/p2289767?
I was given one as a wedding present 7 years ago; after about 5 years it gave up the ghost but I'd loved using it so much, and it had so adequate for what I use it for (cushions, curtains, basic dresses etc), that I replaced it with another the same! They used to do it in a lovely cherry red that seems to have been discontinued but there are still a couple of colour options.
It's also very small and light - I've often taken it on cottage-type holidays in case of a rainy day.

sashh Tue 02-May-17 20:25:20

I got one from hoby craft a few years ago - I was skint so couldn't afford a proper machine. This was 1/2 size and only had basic stitches but worked perfectly well. I could make clothes with it.

It's the midi machine. I'd say it would be a good first machine but one you will look to update fairly soon when you find out what you want.

Mine's been passed on to a friend and is still working.

www.hobbycraft.co.uk/sewing/sewing-machines-and-accessories/sewing-machines?queryfromsearch=true

ExplodedCloud Tue 02-May-17 20:27:23

Dd (10) has the Janone branded version of the one fern linked to. I got it from Hobby craft for less than £40 and it's perfect. I'd definitely recommend it.

ExplodedCloud Tue 02-May-17 20:30:04

*Janome not Janone!

NotMeNoNo Tue 02-May-17 20:32:05

I would suggest an entry level, full size machine, ideally lightly used secondhand.
like this maybe? You should easily be able to get one that is £100-120 new for about £60 used.

A lot of sewing machine shops sell reconditioned, serviced and tested machines.

If you can hold out I think the annual Lidl/Aldi sewing machines are about that price.

grasspigeons Tue 02-May-17 20:32:23

My 9 year old DS has the john lewis one. He gets on well with it, but it was a learning curve for me.

VerySadInside Tue 02-May-17 20:32:50

At 10 I'd get her a proper one rather than a basic, forwards/backwards, on/off job. They last years and she'll get a lot of use.

I think you are better off getting a 2nd hand one off eBay for £60, you'd get so much more for your money, it'd probably come with a lot more accessories/feet.

Personally I'm a big Singer fan. For a newbie I'd recommend a manual over the digital just for her to learn the basics and you have more control.

eggsandpegs Tue 02-May-17 20:34:28

I think the Ikea one is meant to be pretty good.

ChangingStates Tue 02-May-17 20:58:47

Thank you all for your replies - off to do some research grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in