Talk

Advanced search

Backstitch on sewing machine

(9 Posts)
PotteryLottery Mon 17-Apr-17 22:46:33

I see that patterns now advise to go back and fwd a few times on a sewing machine to secure thread at the start and finish.

1. I don't recall learning this at school...is this a new thang?

2. Does doing this still leave a thread hanging on the good side so you have to pull this through to the underside and knot it anyway?

ArriettyClock1 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:48:43

I always backstitch - doesn't leave anything hanging.

BillywigSting Mon 17-Apr-17 22:49:57

It still leaves a thread on the good side that you have to pull through and knot but makes a bit more secure.

I tend to hold reverse and then only do three or four stitches. Done it this way forever (though not on very delicate fabrics)

Floorblob Mon 17-Apr-17 22:50:06

1. Its something I remember learning at school, so 20ish years ago for me. Just seems good practise to secure so your seam can't unravel?
2. Yes, you will still have a top and bottom thread. I've only ever had to thread it through to the back when doing a topstitch though.

SoupDragon Mon 17-Apr-17 22:52:10

1) it was a "thing" when my dad taught me to sew in the early 1980s.

2) yes, you still get a thread on both sides. I just snip them off though. No need to knot it at all, that's what the reversing is for.

thegoatwhogotthequiche Tue 18-Apr-17 18:44:31

Perhaps it depends on what machine you learnt to sew on? I was taught on an old hand crank singer (I am not that old, it's just what was available) so going backwards was not an option.

You don't need to pull the thread through if you reverse at the beginning/end...and I personally don't don't go back and forward a few times, once is enough IMO otherwise if you do have to unpick at any point it is a complete pain. Also most ends are hidden so you don't need it to be that secure IMO.

ArriettyClock1 Tue 18-Apr-17 19:05:16

What's with the knotting? You don't need to do that. Just backstich for 3 or 4 stitches then snip.

LatteLady Sat 22-Apr-17 15:32:32

For those of us who learnt to sew in the 60s and 70s, it was de rigeur in your Needlecraft & Dress O level to tie off your ends with neat knot or better still sew them in.

thegoatwhogotthequiche Sun 23-Apr-17 15:36:37

ah...this would explain why I was taught to tie off when using the Singer, the lady who taught me to sew would have learnt in the 60's. I quite like doing it that way as it is nice and neat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now