Talk

Advanced search

Sewing on Swimming Badges to Costume - Help!

(7 Posts)
TheFurryMenace Sun 02-Apr-17 14:08:31

Can I please have some advice how to do this for my DD. She is insisting they are sewn onto her brand new swimming costume so I dont want to muck it up. She wont be swayed to have them on the towel. No Sir.

I have a sewing machine but am a very basic level, and I can hand sew a bit but never on stretchy fabrics. Im tempted to buy a fabric glue but need to be sure it will work. Any experiences please?

Heratnumber7 Sun 02-Apr-17 14:27:41

I would hand sew.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 02-Apr-17 14:29:23

I sew them by hand...if you're unsure, you could use wonderweb first to stick them on...

www.pellonprojects.com/products/807-wonder-web/

You basically iron the badge on using that stuff...it's very easy, then you go over it with a few stitches.

Chottie Sun 02-Apr-17 14:30:56

I would sew the badges on using blanket stitch, matching the thread to the colour used on the badge.

Tack the badge in place first to ensure it's in the right position and then sew it. It's a quick 5 minute job.

pileoflaundry Sun 02-Apr-17 15:04:54

If you can, use needles with rounded tips for stretch fabric, not 'sharps'. I'm not at home so can't check the name of the rounded needles, ball point or blue point maybe? Sharp needles can cause little tears and can make the fabric run, like ladders in tights.
You can get the rounded-tip needles both for hand sewing and for machines. I'm rubbish at hand sewing so would sew by machine.

TheFurryMenace Sun 02-Apr-17 15:32:05

Thanks for the speedy responses. I will hand sew then and try and find some rounded needles.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 02-Apr-17 16:59:59

I zig zag mine on with thread that matches the edge of the badge - go slowly, get your stitch length/zigzag width right on a bit of scrap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now