Talk

Advanced search

Help, I need advice re patching a ripped sheet.

(8 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 11:48:31

The patch is ready, edges turned under, Wundawebbed to the rip. But do I hand-stitch it on or machine it on? Zig-zag or edge-stitch? The rip is very jagged, and goes right into the seam - should I zig-zag across it?

Please advise!

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 13:32:31

Bump

PourquoiPas Sun 02-Apr-17 13:44:24

I would probably either edge stitch or use a dense zigzag to almost appliqué it on. But what are you doing on the other side of the rip? You need to enclose all the broken edges or they will fray... to be honest, I would have been tempted to have unpicked the hem and then inserted a strip over both sides cutting out the ripped part entirely.

Or just buy a new sheet grin

BarchesterFlowers Sun 02-Apr-17 13:44:28

I would put a patch on each side. Straight stitch close to the edge of your patch, slightly smaller on the underside of the sheet. Then do the same again on the top of the sheet with a larger patch (only about half a cm larger all round.

That way you won't be able to see two lines of stitching on the top.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 13:48:38

It's a very nice kingsize that's part of a set. I don't really want to replace it.

I considered unpicking g the seam, but it's a properly lapped seam, rather than just overlocked, and the lapping continues right into the elasticated corner, so it would have been a big job.

I think you're right, Barchester, I should have patched the underside first.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 02-Apr-17 13:55:23

Well, it is a very nice patch Goody, an underneath patch would have been nice but it doesn't look like it is going to get much stress.

I repair anything I can tight.

HalfCarrot Sun 02-Apr-17 14:16:15

Can you darn the hole a bit first?

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 14:54:25

I've made another patch to go underneath. All that should show above will be a neat square of stitching within the bigger patch.

It'll be hidden by the bedframe, anyway. I hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now