Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me scale up a crochet pattern?

(8 Posts)
ByJoveItsAGoodUn Sun 26-Mar-17 21:30:44

I'm fairly new to crochet, so far I've done several granny squares, some hearts and a daffodil. I want to make a larger version of this heart granny square:
redagapeblog.com/2016/07/08/crochet-granny-heart-tutorial/
It's 5 rounds. I want to make a baby blanket and scale it up to 40 rounds. can anyone tell me how I scale it up? I'm really struggling to work it out.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Akire Sun 26-Mar-17 21:35:22

I would just make x40 square of the same!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 26-Mar-17 21:39:42

I think you'll lose the heart shape taking it larger and unless the blanket is completely flat it's going to look like a massive block of colour with corner contrast

Get some paper with squares printed on it and size it up from there...make the outer border three or four rows (maybe more) to balance better with the bigger heart and pencil in the heart shapes

I can sort of see it in my head, but it's too late on a sunday evening to draw it out!

Dilligufdarling Sun 26-Mar-17 21:43:22

Hi op,
To scale it up from 5x5 to 40x40 you need to increase it by a factor of 8.
The easiest way to do this would be to plot it out of graph paper.
If you imagine each cluster of dc (or tc in English terminology) is a "pixel" that means that each one of these will become 8x8 (or 64)
Be warned though, it will end up looking very blocky scaled up. Best to draw it out.
You might want to add a few more pink bits to round out the shape of the heart.

Dilligufdarling Sun 26-Mar-17 21:43:59

criss post with tonde

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 26-Mar-17 21:45:18

What about this Corner to corner heart instead?

ByJoveItsAGoodUn Sun 26-Mar-17 21:50:03

Hi all.
Ok that helps thank you. I wondered if drawing it out would be the best way to do it, I just needed someone to tell me so!

I want to make it for a friend's rainbow baby, so am quite set on doing something with hearts but I'm not sure I can face doing 40 of these...all that yarn switching and fastening off.. uugghhh!! Any recommendations for other easier heart design blankets to do?

ByJoveItsAGoodUn Sun 26-Mar-17 22:18:37

tondelaya - thanks for the tip, i'll have a look smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now