Odd non fabric 'material' that covers the wadding in a cushion?

(10 Posts)
bobkate Mon 20-Mar-17 22:04:01

Can anyone please advise - I have just bought an old garden furniture set and thought I'd dye the covers. On removing the covers, the wadding inside was obviously originally kept nicely together by this odd non material material stuff.... I have attached a photo. It's all disintegrated so wondered where I could buy some more to wrap the wadding in before stuffing back in the newly dyed covers. Can anyone help at all - can't even think of what to google... Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
elephantoverthehill Mon 20-Mar-17 22:07:47

It is, I think, non-woven fabric similar to stiffening for dress making (viyella?) but much cheaper. Usually you can get it on e-bay.

LIZS Mon 20-Mar-17 22:12:41

Yes looks like sew-in interfacing.

bookbook Mon 20-Mar-17 22:13:55

Vilene? but I'm not sure its woven like that.
Maybe pillow protector material would work, or ticking - does it have to be the same ?

elephantoverthehill Mon 20-Mar-17 22:21:20

Yes Book vilene. Vyella? is completely different. Anyway we use it at school so I can find out the supplier if you want bobkate. It is the same stuff as they use for cheap duvets.

321zerobaby Mon 20-Mar-17 22:27:02

I bought some foam for inside a sofa once and it was described as being 'dacron wrapped', if that helps?

applespearsbears Mon 20-Mar-17 22:28:11

I think it's dacron, I got some cushions recovered and they used it. Seems to help bind it all together.

bobkate Mon 20-Mar-17 22:51:43

Thanks so much - yes, any links to good suppliers would be great. Thank you!! The wadding itself I reckon can be salvaged - it's only for occasional use but I think it does need to be wrapped together.

OP’s posts: |
bobkate Mon 20-Mar-17 22:52:22

And no, it doesn't have to be the same at all - just anything cheap and thin really!

OP’s posts: |
bobkate Mon 20-Mar-17 23:17:56

I've just found this stuff - upholstery stockinette tubing....looks like it'll do the job. I may get some more wadding to wrap round it first as well. Thanks for helping me, came across it whilst googling vilene/dacron and interfacing!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in