Talk

Advanced search

Crocheting eyes and noses

(26 Posts)
GreyStars Fri 10-Mar-17 23:33:26

Hello,

I have recently discovered amigurimui smile and I'm quite proud of myself I am now moving onto posh wool smile my one little animal that I have created, has been subject to many attempts but I just can't make him look right, he looks drunk or angry or cross eyed confused I can't use safety eyes as they will be for tiny humans.

Can anyone suggest some good YouTube videos? I've seen some but it's hard to see exactly what the people are doing. I thought this would be the easier bit sad

Really appreciate any help and advise

Thank you in advance smile

Borisrules Sat 11-Mar-17 11:46:00

I have done a tiny white magic circle for eyes then stitched it on with black pupils done as a knot. I have then stitched on black eyebrows. No earth shattering tips I'm afraid. Noses are tricky!

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 19:28:20

This sounds like a fab idea! Thank you so much

I keep popping into hobbycraft in the hope of finding an expert grin no luck yet

Borisrules Sat 11-Mar-17 20:00:51

This is how it worked with stick man....

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 20:03:05

You can also use little circles of felt as either the whites of eyes or the whole eye.

Most of my toys start off looking a bit evil and with some remedial stitching they look nice afterwards. smile

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 20:03:10

He's cute smile and think that will work on my dinosaurs smile

I'm taking a course in a few weeks I may have to lock up the teacher until I can perfect the perfect nose grin have a cat with no nose he smells terrible

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 20:03:30

Forgot, love the stick man boris.

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 20:04:04

<face palm> didn't even think of felt

Been so determined to perfect the way it is in the pattern I have not explored other options.

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 20:04:57

Thank you so much!

MinnieMinchkin Sat 11-Mar-17 20:09:42

Any facial features I attempt make my creations look really creepy and sinister, so I now use buttons for eyes grin

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 22:17:58

Exactly! DH looked at my first attempt and yelled "take it away it looks like it is going to murder me"

I'm doing the TOFT animals, they look so adorable in the book, I've made one today and it's so cute but I know it will look evil as soon as I attempt eyes or at best look like one of the others is going to murder him.

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 22:26:46

That's a gorgeous book. I'm making Seamus the alpaca with alpaca wool bought at the toft farm last year. He's all done apart from the sewinh together. I've done Aleksandre the Russian blue cat as well. I added a little smile to make him look less evil!

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 22:47:28

Isnt it just lovely grin I've also invested in the mini kits of sea animals, I'm making a crab next.

I'm currently making the Emma and then the bear next I think grin in toft wool, it's beautiful wool, so so soft - I keep having to snif and rub it against my cheek not in a kinky way but the videos aren't that great and I want to know how to do these noses angry am tempted to book myself a night away and travel to the farm, quite a long journey for me but I also want to meet the alpacas grin

Will you post a picture of your alpaca? Love to see him.

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 22:51:57

I certainly will. At the moment he's a collection of limbs and looks a bit grim. I'm finishing a few presents for friends having babies but ones they're done I'm back on the alpaca.

I loved the look of those little kits. I wish my birthday was sooner. smile

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 22:54:05

This is the cat. I think the wool was a sirdar snuggle baby one that they've discontinued now which is a shame because the bobbly bits were really effective.

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 23:07:10

The crab kit is £30, with all the wool, so add to your birthday list for sure!!

Your cat is adorable!!! I love his little scarf grin and the eyes and nose are perfect you clever lady!!!

Once peanut is completed I will post a picture, I just feel he is a peanut grin he only has one arm at the moment as I had wine this evening and thought he would look lop sided if I continued

Thank you for sharing, I love seeing other people's creations

I want to make these elephants soon...

www.allaboutami.com/elephantpattern/

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 23:15:23

It took a few goes to get them right. smile

I really like those elephants-they're very sweet. Mine were just 2d appliqués for a blanket but I used s big hook and small hook to make them look like a mum and baby.

www.repeatcrafterme.com/2014/10/e-is-for-elephant-crochet-elephant.html

I'm making a hippo at the moment. The bobble stitches as toes is really effective. I just hope I can finish him before my friend has her baby!

www.heartandsew.co.uk/2016/08/happy-hippo-free-crochet-amigurumi.html?m=1#.WMQdnjzfXYX

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 23:15:48

And I'd love to see a pic of peanut.

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 23:21:07

Just adorable! Love them both.

I've only discovered crochet a little while ago, big quilter and knitter but I'm completely addicted to this new craft.

Your friends little one is very lucky to have such lovely things coming their way.

I'm also still in love with Boris' stick smile

Hope others will share their creations, links and tips Love seeing nice things

GreyStars Sat 11-Mar-17 23:21:36

I will, eyes or not post a picture of Peanut grin

Marcipex Sun 12-Mar-17 13:05:50

For baby- safe eyes, I sew 5 or 6 times over one stitch, to make a dot.
Teddy noses are a triangle. I do 3 horizontal stitches , decreasing in size, and then a fan of stitches over those, to make a filled-in V.

Borisrules Sun 12-Mar-17 13:43:57

He has a stick lady love and a stick child somewhere.....
Contrary to the book, there will only be one child. It was fiddly and quite frankly stick man has had a vasectomy......
If you are not familiar with the book.....
"Stick man lives in the family tree with his stick lady love and his stick children three"

Three!!!! No way.....

PurpleDaisies Sun 12-Mar-17 21:52:35

Love the pics marci and boris. Mine was recognised so my cat is now in hiding!

grey if you're on Facebook there's a group for people who make things from the Edward's menagerie etc books. It's great for inspiration and tips.
m.facebook.com/groups/499526360223972

It's a closed group but I think they just add anyone who requests to join.

GreyStars Tue 14-Mar-17 01:19:55

Hey, sorry been busy making a unicorn and a bunny body grin

Will post a few pics tomorrow

boris I love the fact he has a love grin

Thanks for the link purple shall definitely join smile I will make a FB account for fun stuff. I don't actually have one inmy real name.

GreyStars Tue 14-Mar-17 01:21:23

marci you make it sound so easy and love your little people grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now