Talk

Advanced search

How to get 'uniform' squares

(15 Posts)
DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 10:02:55

Hello!

I have started crocheting, absolutely love it after getting quite bewildered with knitting. I have made a couple of granny blankets and I love the stitch. I was just wondering, when making squares to put together rather than making one big square, how do you make it, for example, a 4x4 inch? I use a 4mm hook and stylecraft dk

Also what is the easiest way to hide the ends when you have finished the project?

Thank you in advance!

SisterA Sat 04-Mar-17 10:20:44

Consistency is key to making all your squares the same size, so as long as you have the same tension & are using the same yarn and hook size then they should all come out a uniform size to join together.

When finished a crochet piece I use a darning needle to weave the ends in between the stitches of the same colour so they're not seen.

Hope this helps! smile

DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 10:49:21

Thank you sister!

That's really helpful, I was also wondering is there a certain amount to chain on at the beginning to get certain size squares or if you're doing granny, how many rounds? Thank you!

DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 10:51:10

I was wondering mainly because I would love to contribute to wooly hugs and it says for squares to be 4x4 but I have no idea how to ensure a granny square is 4x4!

Pestilentialone Sat 04-Mar-17 10:55:19

You get them four by four through experimentation. Make a standard granny square with 4, 5, or 6 rows. block them and measure. If one is a bit big and one is too small, try adding a row of double around the small one. Yours are meant to be unique.
My DGM used to block squares by giving them a very light spray of water and putting the under DGF's chair cushion.

Pestilentialone Sat 04-Mar-17 11:03:53

Remember there are loads of different squares to make.
If you can do a granny square you can do most of them (with a bit of practice).
I often start squares with a magic loop. Just remember to tie the end in well.

DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 11:13:50

Thank you! Excellent, I am a total novice but am really pleased that I have perfected the granny square as I think it's really pretty. There's soooooo much to learn!

Ah yes I remember seeing the magic loop on YouTube, that's where you can pull the loose bit so there's no hole in the middle, right?

Ok this has given me the perfect excuse to make lots of squares in the name of practice! At least all the wool I have bought will see the light of day- I've collected quite a hoard blush

DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 11:20:33

Just ordered the book from eBay! Thank you again for the advice

Pestilentialone Sat 04-Mar-17 11:25:02

Sign up to Ravelry, it is free and there are loads of patterns. Also lots of help and information on the forums.

DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 11:26:19

Signing up now!

Great website

I can't wait to make some cool squares and impress everyone with my skills 😎

Pestilentialone Sat 04-Mar-17 12:43:22

When you have mastered squares, have a go at triangles

SoupDragon Sat 04-Mar-17 16:23:42

Woolly Hug squares aren't 4x4, they're 6 inches (or 12)

As a member of the Construction Crew, I can say that as long as it's close to 6" square, it's good enough. They can usually be made to fit - I've yet to come across a square I can't get into the blanket!

It's impossible to say that X stitches makes a 6" square though as everyone crochets differently. The squares I did for the blanket I'm putting together right now we're 22 stitches, plus corners. Some of the ones from other people were 30, there may have been higher ones too. Once you've I get the hang of it, your own squares usually come out the same size if they are made from the same stitch pattern.

DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 18:11:55

Sorry soup I must have meant 6x6 not where I got 4x4 from! <I'm blaming baby brain right now>

Right I reckon some practice is in order then to see what makes a good size square!

Love those triangles, very pretty

DianaMemorialJam Sat 04-Mar-17 18:12:13

Not sure where

SoupDragon Sun 05-Mar-17 09:46:45

If you're crocheting a squares inrows, make your foundation chain slightly shorter than 6" as I tend to find that the proper crocheted bits come out wider than the chain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now