Talk

Advanced search

Fabric/ patterns for baby clothes

(9 Posts)
Cottagecosy Sat 25-Feb-17 17:25:08

I am a novice sewer but have made curtains and cushions before. I want to have a go at making some basic clothes for my dd (think dungarees etc) and am after some fabric.

Does anyone know where I can buy bright colourful fabrics suitable for children's clothes online? I like the fabrics frugi use for example.

Also can anyone point me in the direction of any good websites for free patterns that i can have a go at?

Thank you!

MrsHiddleston Sat 25-Feb-17 20:59:22

Plush addict have lots of fabrics for children. Not sure about patterns though.

MrsHiddleston Sat 25-Feb-17 21:00:45

Sorry here's the link.

Cottagecosy Sun 26-Feb-17 10:02:01

Thanks Mrs Hiddleston. I found that site linked on another post but from looking most of the bright fun fabrics seem to be polyester or man made fabrics. I think (though happy to be corrected) I would be better with a medium weight cotton for baby clothes.

I found fabric fox which seems good although they don't specify the weight of the fabric and I'm not confident enough to know if they would suit.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Also specifically after a simple dungarees pattern for a baby if anyone knows of one.

msannabella Sun 26-Feb-17 12:23:19

The type of bright kids fabric that frugi and the like use are jersey. I do a bit of sewing and there are lots of Facebook groups that sell the fabric. That's where I get a lot of mine from. There are pattern groups on there too and a lot of them have free patterns if you join their Facebook groups. A good company I have a lot of patterns from is made by jacks mum (mbjm) on Facebook. A lot of their patterns look similar to frugi stuff and are easy to follow. Try brindille and twig and elliedactyl for patterns too. I've made stuff from all of them and found them easy.

Cottagecosy Sun 26-Feb-17 14:00:16

Thanks msanabella. I will look into those groups. I assumed cotton as I understood jersey can be hard to see if your less experienced. What do you think?

msannabella Sun 26-Feb-17 16:15:14

It's slightly different. I started with cotton but jersey is OK if you take your time. It's more forgiving of mistakes too! If you sew dungarees in cotton there'll be no give so you'd probably have no growth in them but jersey will stretch so your measuring wouldn't have to be exact iyswim.

SockKnittingMum Sun 26-Feb-17 23:58:04

I second the Made By Jack's Mum patterns! They are amazing. Also worth looking at are Stitch Upon a Time, Patterns for Pirates and Made for Mermaids. All of them sell lovely patterns that are easy to follow.
Fabric I tend to use Caboodle Textiles, Kailuna, TSA Jersey fabric uk group on Facebook and Kelanas Kreations on Etsy.

Cottagecosy Mon 27-Feb-17 12:38:24

Thanks guys that's really helpful I will look those up. Thanks for the tip on using jersey too- I won't rule that out especially if it's more forgiving!

I have bought a pattern from purperita on etsy which got good reviews. I will look in those other places too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now