Talk

Advanced search

Need sewing help! Jeans alteration.

(6 Posts)
FelixFelix Tue 21-Feb-17 20:10:00

I have a problem with my massive arse to waist ratio, so struggle to buy jeans which fit. I found some excellent ones recently but the gap around the back of the waist was humongous. I've managed to take them in (by 5 inches!!!) and I'm really pleased with the result as I didn't think it would work, apart from there's a very weird bump which I can't seem to get rid of. They aren't otherwise perfect but any means, but they will do as they look really good on (apart from this annoying bump issue!)

I've tried to take photos with them on but it's proving difficult. It bumps out just above where the yoke starts, directly in the middle of the centre back seam. I took them in by unpicking the waistband, then unpicking the centre back seam down to where the yoke finishes and taking this in as much as required. Almost like a dart shape, but not. Then I sewed back up, cut the excess off the waistband and topstitched it all.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can remedy this at all? My only idea is unpicking it all and trying again but it's not really guaranteed that it will happen again. I thought about ironing some interfacing on the inside of the offending area as I think it might lie flat if it's a bit stiffer, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Please can anyone help?

(I've attached photos but please tell me if they don't show up as I'm having problems with photos on the app).

parklives Tue 21-Feb-17 20:16:23

I think the adjustment you have made is slightly too much. (I know that's what you need to do to have the jeans fit correctly)

It's like you have made a short wide dart, when ideally your dart would be longer to adjust the garment less abruptly (if that makes sense)

There's nothing you can do about the bump, unless you adjust the next section (below) of the jeans too, but this makes it a much bigger job, and I don't think you need to do it unless you plan to wear the jeans with tops tucked it.

* disclaimer, I am not a dressmaker, and it's only my humble opinion, all my knowledge is self-taught, so someone more qualified might come along soon....smile

FelixFelix Tue 21-Feb-17 20:26:03

No that definitely makes sense, thank you. I only made the dart end at the bottom of the yoke to avoid unpicking and restitching the next seam which goes down the bum part, because it's really thick and would be tricky to do! I think it's the tension of it pulling it in a weird direction.

Unfortunately I bought them to wear tops tucked in sad

storynanny Tue 21-Feb-17 20:30:46

Not sure if this will help with the bump, but when sewing denim seams, hems etc, it is easier to get them flat if you hammer the thick parts as flat as you can. Use a mallet type hammer on a concrete surface, I do this when taking up jeans so that the machine goes over the thick layers easily.

FelixFelix Tue 21-Feb-17 20:31:58

I think I may have solved it! Should have held off posting. I've looked at where I've resewn the seam, and I think it might need to curve inwards rather than be straight as it is at the moment. I've just hand sewn a new seam but slightly curved towards the bottom and it seems to have worked! It's still not completely flat but looks so much better.

parklives Tue 21-Feb-17 20:45:57

Looks great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now