Talk

Advanced search

Can I teach myself how to use a camera without going on a course?

(6 Posts)
SaltandPepperRibs Sun 19-Feb-17 19:47:57

I really like getting a good photo, but I'm limited by my tech skills I think. I can spot a good potential photo, and I know in theory what aperture, shutter speed etc do, but I don't know how to apply that theory. I currently use my basic digital SLR on the auto settings.

I really don't have any child-free time to do a RL course, but are there any beginner step by step online tutorials or anything that might help me?

BartiDdu Mon 20-Feb-17 01:11:07

Have you looked at Craftsy? They do a number of online photography courses, which you can do at your own pace, including ones for beginners. I've not actually done any of these courses myself, but have done quite a few of the drawing and painting ones and learnt a lot from those. Not sure what the situation is like with photography, but for drawing I found that while there are a lot of free tutorials around and interesting YouTube channels, none really go into the subject in as much detail as I need to properly learn how to do things myself.

SaltandPepperRibs Mon 20-Feb-17 08:44:43

No I haven't, I'll look at that, thank you!

BartiDdu Mon 20-Feb-17 12:58:11

You're welcome. For info, if you are interested, this site has so many sales that there's little point paying full price for any of the courses. It's a bit of a slippery slope though. I'm currently working my way through 4 different drawing courses, some of which I signed up to because they had a really good sale on just before Christmas blush. On the plus side, I'm learning a lot!

SaltandPepperRibs Mon 20-Feb-17 13:43:56

Oh brill! I can see my sewing gear might be getting an outing in the near future...

I've bought the beginner's digital photography course and have learnt a fair bit already this morning smile

BartiDdu Mon 20-Feb-17 18:42:56

Is that the National Geographic one? That one caught my eye this morning, but I'm trying to resist buying it as I don't think I can do more than 4 courses at a time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now