Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis sewing machine

(9 Posts)
Sherlock35 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:00:58

Does anyone own a JL110 sewing machine? Is it any good for a beginner?

Willowtree2604 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:36:47

I was looking at this machine too, looks pretty good for my needs! It seems the white one has no carrying handle which is pushing me towards choosing a coloured one. Did you go for it in the end?

Sherlock35 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:40:51

I haven't, yet no. I don't have a lot of money so was waiting for
Opinions rather than buying the wrong thing. Plus, I think I need to figure out where to put it so my DC can't get their hands on it!

Willowtree2604 Sun 19-Feb-17 15:18:09

The reviews on the site and Instagram seem really good.

OublietteBravo Sun 19-Feb-17 15:27:54

I've got one. I don't really like it. But then I did a lot of research and asked for a specific sewing machine (different make). And my mother got me one of these. Because it was cheaper by about £15 and she didn't think I'd do much sewing hmm.

TinyBarista Sun 19-Feb-17 16:08:31

Complete beginner here. I got the Janome 2032. So far so good. was on offer £79 at hobbycraft now £99 though

Willowtree2604 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:46:02

Can I ask what you don't like? I'm a total beginner so to me it looks like it might be ok, but I'm really sure what I'm looking for anyway. I heard it's made by janome, but sold as JL...

ZippyNeedsFeeding Sun 19-Feb-17 16:56:29

I was sent an offer for a free one last week, if I took out a subscription for a magazine. I didn't, because when I did subscribe, I didn't find I actually made any of the things in that magazine, but it did look like a really good offer. They do seem to be made by Janome and are certainly compatible with Janome accessories.
It has a four step buttonhole which wouldn't be my preference and it said in the description that it's suitable for light to medium fabrics, so again not for me, but it looks okay. Although I have bought a couple of these Brother ones for my boys and they are IMO much better value;
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IH8JC6A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21
I have a Silver Viscount which is lush but overkill for a beginner. I also have about 5 spare machines so I may have a habit.

Callmecordelia Tue 28-Feb-17 15:05:13

I have one that my mum got me as a present.

I'd probably prefer a slightly more advanced one to be honest, where I can vary the stitch width and do a one step buttonhole. Mine also skips stitches occasionally, seemingly at random. I'm a bit disappointed tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now