Talk

Advanced search

Crochet hooks

(16 Posts)
MyBalletShoes Wed 08-Feb-17 21:53:14

Hi

Total beginner to this but want to start a hobby to keep my hands occupied in the evening (and therefore hopefully away from the biscuit tin!).

Could anyone recommend (or link to) some crochet hooks that might be good for a complete beginner? I read through some old posts and saw the clover(?) ones mentioned but at nearly £40 for a set, I want to be sure it's something I can actually do (and enjoy) before putting a lot of money into it. They're on my Amazon wish list but, in the meantime, can anyone recommend any beginner hooks?

Thanks so much smile

ChuckSnowballs Wed 08-Feb-17 21:54:36

I just went to the local wool shop, bought some wool and a medium size hook and was away.

SpaghettiMoon Wed 08-Feb-17 21:58:37

These (available from various sellers just search for crochet hook set) www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361507403202 are very cheap and perfectly fine to start out plus you get a good range of sizes.

SoupDragon Wed 08-Feb-17 21:59:31

I started out with a standard 4mm metal hook made by Pony and DK yarn.

Standard metal hooks are still my favourite hooks! You can get cheap coloured sets on Amaz on and E Bay. Don't fork out for an expensive set as a beginner.

MyBalletShoes Wed 08-Feb-17 22:03:15

That's a much better price! Brilliant, thanks so much. Now to find some beginners YouTube videos and hope I get somewhere with it all!

Arcadia Wed 08-Feb-17 22:05:42

I find the Bella coco online tutorials brilliant - I started with a granny square.

MyBalletShoes Wed 08-Feb-17 22:05:59

DK yarn. I'll look out for that, thanks.

MyBalletShoes Wed 08-Feb-17 22:09:01

The old posts I'd looked at kept mentioning Bella Coco so that's definitely on my list. Never have much confidence with starting new things (always assume I'll be rubbish at them) so hoping I 'take' to this!

MyNameIsJane Wed 08-Feb-17 22:09:17

I second Bella Coco and you can get yarns in Aldi from tomorrow. I got three small balls of wool for £2 in hobbycraft earlier.

MyNameIsJane Wed 08-Feb-17 22:10:50

... and I am a new starter too. Started the first week of Jan.

Do you fancy doing a few Woolly Hugs squares? I've just finished four

MyNameIsJane Wed 08-Feb-17 22:12:17

Whoops posted too soon!
- I ordered the specific yarn once I was confident I could crochet a bit.

Mermaidbutmytailfelloff Wed 08-Feb-17 22:12:23

it helps to use coloured wool when you start, its much easier to see. Dark colours are really tough to crochet with.

I started with granny squares too.

MayhemandMadness01 Wed 08-Feb-17 22:15:16

I found it easier to search for specific stitches on You Tube such as chain, single crochet, double crochet etc. The clips tend to be less waffly

glenthebattleostrich Wed 08-Feb-17 22:15:54

I started 2nd week of Jan and am now doing some lovely patterns. Definitely look at the Woolly hugs squares.

All learned from watching Bella coco.

This is my current project, it's taking about 1 to 1.5 hours per square.

ImBrian Thu 09-Feb-17 06:52:10

I got some with a rubbery handle of eBay, a set from2.5-6 was about £5. B&m is good for cheap yarn as well.

SoupDragon Thu 09-Feb-17 07:28:19

I found it easier to search for specific stitches on You Tube such as chain, single crochet, double crochet etc

Ah... that reminds me. When looking at online tutorials, you need to find out if they are using US or UK terminology. If they mention "single crochet" then it is American.

US ---> UK
SC --> DC
HDC --> HTC ( half double/Treble crochet
DC --> TC
TC --> DTC (double treblecrochet... I think! It doesn't come up very often smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now