Talk

Advanced search

Crocheting a long chain and joining it without twisting!

(8 Posts)
Flossyfloof Mon 06-Feb-17 13:39:06

I am trying really hard to perfect my chains. I have found that by working slowly and methodically, my chain is much more even. So far so good!
I am trying to work out the best way to ensure that the chain isn't twisted when I go to join it. Later on I am going to wind the chain around something something and try to join it when it's wound. I'll let you know if that works. Are there any failsafe methods of doing this or is it just practice? I don't have any crochet stitch markers but I am thinking of making some, they would help by hanging down, I think.
It can't just be me who finds this hard - can it??

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 06-Feb-17 14:05:26

When I have had to join a chain to make a circle I do the foundation row before joining it. Then I join the last and first stitch together making sure the row isn't twisted and then carry on working in rounds. I use the loose end from the start of the chain to join the gap in the first row.

Flossyfloof Mon 06-Feb-17 17:43:20

Oh that makes so much sense! Thank you ever so much.

TheHouseOfIllRepute Mon 06-Feb-17 17:46:03

I never chain I always do FDC or FSC
I hate chaining
If you must there is a YouTube video of how to chain a few then hold on your hook then a few more, onto hook and so on

MollyRedskirts Mon 06-Feb-17 17:49:19

I try not to chain now, and do that weird chainless method (will look up those abbreviations posted, because it may be those that I do).

Doing the foundation row before joining makes so much sense! Do you want to know what I did before I learned the chainless method? I stretched out the chain and stuck it to my knee with sellotape so it'd stay straight while I joined it. blush

SoupDragon Mon 06-Feb-17 19:40:50

I saw an incredible tip for this! From memory, you chained a short length then took it off the hook, put the first chain back on, then the last chain back on with no twist i the chain and carry on chaining. When you're done, you simply join the two end chains together.

I'll scurry off to Ravelry to find the video link...

SoupDragon Mon 06-Feb-17 19:47:14

here

Flossyfloof Mon 06-Feb-17 23:28:28

Brilliant, thanks so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now