Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a fan of Lino cutting?

(11 Posts)
IneedmoreLemonPledge Sun 05-Feb-17 22:14:06

Not sure if I should put this in chat or not.

But I'll try here first. Over the weekend I was pondering and decided It's time for me to spend a bit of personal time enjoying some hobbies.

So....I've decided after a 30 year break blush to get back into Lino Cutting.

I've lost track of good art supply shops etc and i need some advice on getting the basics.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of cutting tools? (Preferably not interchange handled cutters, I prefer each to have an individual one) and a good Brand of ink/roller?

I was watching a few YouTube vids and it seems like things have progressed in Lino fabrication to soft block.

Anyone else do this as a hobby?

I'm quite excited to begin, having gotten over the guilt of spending time and money on myself. blush

PuraVida Sun 05-Feb-17 22:20:23

Ooo no help but I used to LOVE this. I've still got my old tools somewhere so I'm just going to lurk here and hope someone more useful comes along smile

IneedmoreLemonPledge Sun 05-Feb-17 23:32:09

It was a long shot but I'm super excited you replied.

I was watching some lovely YouTube vids and it took me back to quiet days in the warm school art studio, peacefully whittling away. Almost meditative, I felt awash with peace. grin

Perhaps we can form a little support group and get going....?

Sweets101 Sun 05-Feb-17 23:35:15

Love this too, not done it before but was planning on starting soon. I love the effect was planning on having a go with my little budding artist over half term

nell15 Sun 05-Feb-17 23:40:44

Look on Jacksons website or cass is another one, also try Lawrence art supplies. You might get decent equipment at hobbycraft to get you started. You could look for courses or workshops. Many big towns have print workshops that run courses and let you use their studio space

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 05-Feb-17 23:47:55

Yes! I even have tools somewhere. I'm thinking about doing an art foundation course or creative writing and print making was always my thing.

IneedmoreLemonPledge Sun 05-Feb-17 23:55:35

Thanks Nell I have a spare room at home which I've decided to use as a personal space for my hobbies so it'll become a hybrid studio/library/study so I'm good for space.

I've watched a video here https://youtu.be/Cc53ns9yJfo and decided to start with a cheap set of the Speedball cutters and the soft linoleum. I have to get everything from scratch, rollers, plexiglass, ink, rice paper etc so it's a big outlay initially.

Then no doubt quite a few dummy runs on Lino as I've forgotten everything grin

Then I think I'll buy a Pfeil cutter every now and then when funds allow so that I can use traditional Lino and wood. I've never really worked with wood but it also looks interesting.

I'm not in the UK but I had a look at Jacksons and they have an amazon shop so looking to order there.

Saw some interesting print books too, highly intricate, but I'm thinking at the moment of pop culture retro sort of statement carvings to make into postcard sized stamps.

I feel a Pinterest board coming on now!

PuraVida Mon 06-Feb-17 15:31:23

If you do start a Pinterest board let me know. I'm not in a position to start buying stuff (skint) and it's been a while but I'm definitely going to work up to this

I wonder if it still smells the same, loved the smell grin

IneedmoreLemonPledge Mon 06-Feb-17 19:28:38

Oh yes the smell! I wonder if softcut cuts the mustard! grin

nell15 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:41:30

Sounds good! I used to teach Lino printing on fabric to teenage girls. I must have been mad!!! They got some good results though!!
It's worth getting the best equipment you can afford - but at the same time you need to experiment to find out what suits you best
Good look. I'll be looking out for your Pinterest page

IneedmoreLemonPledge Wed 08-Feb-17 09:40:35

I'm not in the UK, but I found this guys website really interesting. I'm debating coming back home for a workshop day, as it might be a good way to get started and confident before investing.

http://linocutboy.com/workshops/

His style is exactly what I've been thinking on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now