Talk

Advanced search

Do you need to wash linen before you dressmake with it?

(8 Posts)
Wigeon Fri 27-Jan-17 20:34:00

So I am sewing with 100% linen for the first time - should I wash it beforehand so it shrinks? How much is it likely to shrink by? (10%? 30%?!) What temperature should you wash it on?

Voices of experience welcome!

BarchesterFlowers Fri 27-Jan-17 20:47:44

I wash everything on a 30 degree wash. Unless the way it behaves in the wash would change what I did with it. For instance I had a silk suiting fabric, looked like a linen. If it had shrunk/lost colour/structure in the wash I would have had it cleaned.

In those sort of cases where I don't know if it is going to be ruined I measure a 6 or 8 inch square accurately. Zig zag or overlock it and wash it on a wool wash first, if it survives unchanged I wash it again once it is dry on a 30 degree short wash.

BarchesterFlowers Fri 27-Jan-17 21:03:25

Must add that I use 30 degrees because that is my standard wash - you need to use the temperature you will use for the garment you make. I only use 30 degree either cotton, wool or mixed fibre wash.

Wigeon Fri 27-Jan-17 22:24:23

Thank you! Giving it a go with a piece I've measured on a 40 degree wash...

languagelearner Thu 02-Feb-17 16:48:42

I was under the impression you have to wash everything first, better being safe than sorry.

BarchesterFlowers Thu 02-Feb-17 17:23:19

Only if you would only wash the garment you made.

As above I would have had the silk cleaned if it didn't wash/was ruined by the process - if I am unsure whether washing is the right thing I only wash a small piece. If something shrunk so much that the drape was altered I would have it cleaned instead.

llangennith Thu 02-Feb-17 17:30:11

It's never occurred to me confused

frenchfancy Thu 02-Feb-17 17:36:33

I wash and tumble dry all fabric before I sew. I hate it when I have clothes that fit before they are washed but not after ( the problem with most RTW is that they don't pre-treat the fabric.)

I never sew with fabric that can't be washed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now