Talk

Advanced search

Wedding dress alterations...advice/suggestions needed.

(7 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 14:25:04

I am buying a wedding dress, which may be a little small on me, not much, but might be a bit hard to breath. How easy is it to have it let out a little? Does any one know of who I could get to do it in Plymouth area, will travel a little, and rough costs for it? Many thanks!

dizzyday07 Sat 24-Feb-07 14:29:14

The ability to let it out depends upn how much spare fabric there is at the sides. It might be better to buy the next size up and have it taken in

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 14:43:13

oh dear i thought you might say that...i got it from ebay..., was a little hasty with my bid . thanks 4 reply.

BuffysMum Sat 24-Feb-07 14:45:18

you may be able to have narrow panels put in at the sides a good seamstress could do that.

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 14:48:49

ok, I lost the bid anyway not sure which. Lovely dress, but perhaps I will go for one a bit too big.

Advice on size...I am 8 usually, is it true that wedding dresses are always bigger, I tried on a couple which were 12, they fitted perfectly apart from length, is this the general rule?

BuffysMum Sat 24-Feb-07 14:59:47

do you mean you need to go up a size in a wedding dress? I had to with my monsoon one the 8 was too tight on the rib cage (too many babies I think!) Better to get it too big but be aware alterations do cost quite a bit of money.

The seamstress I used is J10 of the M25 - guildford she custom makes dresses quite inexpensively its www.glove-design.co.uk if you are shorter than average the proportions would be better. Just a thought I know it cost me about £80 in alterations!

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 15:17:39

I meant smaller!!! yes I meant do you need to go up a size!!! Thanks for correcting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now