Talk

Advanced search

Any good crochet tutorials for an absolute beginner

(9 Posts)
ringlingsisters Sat 21-Jan-17 11:41:19

I'm a sewer but really want to master knitting and crochet - have tried before but just can't seem to get my head around it for some reason. I belong to a craft group and most of the other members are knitters/crocheters and produce some of the most beautiful work. I know they would be happy to help but I'd like to be at least armed with the basics.

dylsmimi Sat 21-Jan-17 11:43:22

Bella coco on you tube is good. Sarah Jayne is clear with instructions and you can see the stitches. Don't forget to pause and go back as and when you need
If you have something like the Amazon Fire stick you can put it on your TV which makes it much bigger and easier to see ! It helped me - but annoyed the rest of the family! grin

turbohamster Sat 21-Jan-17 12:08:07

I like PlanetJune but that is more aimed at Amigurumi.

If your more looking at blankets/cushion covers type thing then Attic24 is good, something basic like the Granny Square is a good starting point

For crochet, in the beginning, make sure you just stick to one terminology (US or UK)

3penguins Sat 21-Jan-17 12:13:15

Can I join you ringling - I have knitted for years, but would like to try and make a crocheted granny square throw. I have bought myself a crochet hook, have loads of wool and now need a good YouTube tutorial.

Disforduster Mon 23-Jan-17 09:43:20

I like the Bella Coco ones too. However, I found learning granny squares easiest from this written tutorial:
www.littletinbird.co.uk/free-crochet-tutorials/basic-granny-square-pattern/

TheFurryMenace Wed 25-Jan-17 21:33:45

For knitting, I dont think Verypinkknits can be beat. Staci gives wonderfully clear video tutorals on the basics, and she also has video tutorals for all her patterns. I've had several and they are all very good.

PlayOnWurtz Tue 07-Feb-17 19:07:35

I'd look up the crochet crowd on YouTube they've also recently started knitting. They are idiot proof tutorials.

dalmatianmad Tue 07-Feb-17 19:11:38

Definitely bella cocoa, I am completely self taught from her tutorials on you tube, although I can only make blankets hmm

TimTamTerrier Tue 07-Feb-17 19:13:19

I like The Crochet Crowd for tutorials. The thing to remember about crochet is that the UK and America use the same terms meaning different things. It's worth learning both 'languages' at the same time so that you can use any pattern in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now