Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DK yarn square

(6 Posts)
queenofthebucket Sat 14-Jan-17 20:31:18

I have been given 3 x 100 g of DK wool but it doesn't give a yardage.
How can I work out what size it would knit up in ss, for a blanket or cushion cover? I was thinking of matching something to complement the colours if it is not enough.

PurpleMcPants Sat 14-Jan-17 20:34:27

have you googled the brand and type of wool? Usually yarn websites give you the yardage/metreage for a ball, that would be a start

ElsieBobo Sat 14-Jan-17 20:42:28

Do you mean a baby blanket or bigger? DK wool/ 8 ply in stst I would expect to be able to do a 16x 16 inch cushion cover with 300g (assuming 8mm needles) but a bit of guess work involved.

queenofthebucket Sat 14-Jan-17 21:44:25

Thankyou [Elsie] I was thinking it might make a cushion cover. Do you think I could make one side wool and the back in fabric or both sides knitted ?
Its all different though, I have one undyed (grey) one heather and one a blackberry shade, its dyed with veg dye.

ElsieBobo Sun 15-Jan-17 13:36:41

I have a DK baby blanket pattern which says that 10x 50g balls are needed to make a blanket which is 73cm x 98cm (28.5 inch x 38.5 inch). It's not stst but should be similar. So you have a bit more than half that amount of wool, meaning you should be able to do an area around, say 55-60cm x 35-40cm. So I think you might be a little short actually to do both cushion sides in knitting. You could try using larger needles so it's looser fabric and takes less wool but it would be v annoying to get 90% done and run out. But easy enough to find some other similar wool to finish off the back.

queenofthebucket Sun 15-Jan-17 16:40:51

Thanks for your advice, I have been practising stranded colours work today.
I'm going to try a repeat geometric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now