Talk

Advanced search

Knitting patterns do my head in :-(

(9 Posts)
SueW Thu 22-Feb-07 23:41:19

I found a pattern to make DD a bolero.

It's by sirdar and has a loopy/lacy edge.

I got my head around Row 1 but Row two has me stumped. I have 36 stitches on the needles in the pattern

1 2 2 2 .... 2 2 2 1

The spaces are where the loops from the previous row cast-offs fall.

Row 2 reads:

K1, cast on 2sts, *k2, cast on 2 sts, rep from * to last st, k1 [72]

So I have to double the number of stitches. I get that. But I can't get how it does it.

I have tried

K1 onto the RH needle as usual, cast on two using the next available stitch on the LH needle, K2 but then I am just knitting the two new stitches all the time and not moving on!

K1 onto the RH needle as usual, cast on two using the next available stitich on the LH needle and slipping them to the RH needle, K2, etc. Which seems like it should work but it leaves a nasty loop of yarn

K1 onto the RH needle as usual, swap needles over, cast on two from that stitch, swap back, etc. Seems very complicated and wrong.

PLEASE help!! Otherwise I will be confined to knitting socks, felted bags and 15x15cm squares for the rest of my life!!!!!!

shonaspurtle Thu 22-Feb-07 23:56:57

Do you maybe put the cast on stitches onto the rh needle, not knit them until the next row? I'm probably misunderstanding...

SueW Fri 23-Feb-07 08:18:30

You mean like my second option? I think that should work but it just doesn't look right. Perhaps I will have to do a whole row and the next one which is knit only and see how it turns out.

Any more suggestions? I am out all day today so cannot phone the sirdar helpline.

Tamum Fri 23-Feb-07 08:22:37

I think you need to use a backward loop cast on. That would give you stitches directly on the RH needle where you need them, and no nasty loops. It's terribly easy to do, too- you just make a twisted loop and put it on the needle. It's really bad that they haven't explained that properly.

SueW Fri 23-Feb-07 08:24:07

Thanks Tamum. Will investigate that later.

Tamum Fri 23-Feb-07 08:24:36

Pictures here if you haven't done it before- got to go out now but I'll check back later in case that's no good

dizzyday07 Fri 23-Feb-07 09:20:48

I agree with Tamum as to how you should cast on the two new stitches and these will be "knitted" on the next row

Pruni Fri 23-Feb-07 09:44:17

Message withdrawn

SueW Fri 23-Feb-07 20:41:23

Thanks Tamum - it worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now