Talk

Advanced search

Knitting geniuses please help- different sized sleeves to body

(18 Posts)
CRbear Sat 07-Jan-17 22:45:42

Help!!

I'm knitting a jumper for a relatives' significant birthday. It's been a long term project. It's a knit from the bottom up circular jumper. It's only my second ever jumper so apologies for the lack of terminology!

The sleeves and body were done with big time gaps. I sat down to knit the yoke- adding all the pieces to together on one round needle and couldn't make the numbers work! After much head scratching I've realised I knit medium sleeves and a large body shock - can't bloody believe it. I've only got two weeks to finish it which would be tight as is- I'll never do it if I have to reknit sleeves or body.

Would it look a total mess if I unpicked the last row on the body and redid it reducing by ten stitches? It seems an awful lot... I know in an ideal situation I should do it properly but I really want to finish it for the 26th! Any other solutions? Thanks in advance for your help!

rolypolydoll Sun 08-Jan-17 15:53:07

I would have thought that 10 stitches wouldn't actually make that much difference in a jumper but how do the decreases work in the yoke? Is it a patterned yoke? Hope she appreciates your efforts!

CRbear Sun 08-Jan-17 16:56:38

I've got one row to do before the patterned yoke starts and I was intending to reduce them all in that row.. what do you think? I could rip back a few rows and do it over them?

CRbear Sun 08-Jan-17 16:56:46

Thanks for your reply!

rolypolydoll Mon 09-Jan-17 07:33:07

I would go for it, if it looks wrong after a few rows you can rip it out and try something else. Maybe adding in a couple of rows to work the decreases (before the yoke starts). Good luck!

Ingles2 Mon 09-Jan-17 07:45:34

Which size do you actually want? Large? Have you done any shaping on the sleeves yet? If not add the 10 stitches to the sleeves over 3/4 rows.

CRbear Mon 09-Jan-17 17:18:09

I want medium really. I'm hoping it will look like the current boxier body, more fitted sleeves grin

I'll try it tonight and see how I go... will report back!

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 10-Jan-17 09:41:48

Are the sleeves like a raglan (diagonal seam line) shape, or kinda tubes? And were the knitted up from the cuff or down from the top?

Are the sleeves knitted onto the piece or sewn on when you've made them? These things would affect how I'd answer your question!

My knitting mantra is - fudge it. But if you let us know the answers to these qs, I might be able to be more useful! smile

liz70 Tue 10-Jan-17 11:43:20

By "last row" do you mean just under the arms, before you start dividing for chest and upper back? If so I would just knit a further last row/round and reduce by 5 stitches under each arm. I shouldn't have thought that would be too noticeable.

CRbear Tue 10-Jan-17 17:47:17

Sleeves are knit from cuff up and are tapered tubes with thinner wrists than upper arms.

I've already cast off the stitches for the arm pits - next I'll need to thread the arms by their open stitches at the top onto the needle big round needle that currently holds the body and then I'll need to knit a row where all are knit together on one needle if that makes sense?

I'm thinking fudge it too... didn't get round to starting last night but I've ambitions for today

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 11-Jan-17 11:55:06

Ah right - you're knitting a yoked jumper. TBH, I'd just continue on up - I doubt that a difference in the upper arm matters too much there.

You may need to watch your stitch count. When you have both sleeves and the yoke on one needle, you may have less stitches than the pattern says you should, because of those smaller sleeves... But the bottom line is, you need to keep decreases where they are meant to be as you follow the pattern. (Usually decreasing around about 4 places round the whole thing; either side of each sleeve). So just check the maths; make sure you are continuing to decrease where it wants you to and make sure, if the yoke has a pattern, you won't bodge it up with a slightly smaller stitch count. I'd probably continue to follow the pattern for Large, once you're on one needle, but just take into account how many stitches you are short.

If you're only a few stitches out, I wouldn't bother. If the discrepency is large, you may need to re-think.

Another way is to unpick the arms down to about elbow level, and increase at a less dramatic rate, so by the time you hit the point where they go on one needle with the body, you have the correct number of stitches.

You can do the maths by measuring how much more you'd need to knit from, say, the elbow (roughly half way point in terms of length of sleeve) - how many rounds per 10cm. Then take the final number of sts you'd need when you hit the top of the sleeve, before it joins the body, and minus from it the number of sts you have at the elbow, currently. You're probably increasing two stitches in a round on an increase round. So then half that number. This tells you how many times you have to increase over the number of rounds you have left. Then you can space the increases accordingly. Bottom line is - it's not entirely crucial when you increase up the sleeve so long as it's consistent and you end up with the right stitch count at the top of the sleeve, before it joins the body.

Hope that makes sense.

CRbear Wed 11-Jan-17 20:27:16

Great advice Joffrey - very clear! Thanks!

JoffreyBaratheon Thu 12-Jan-17 10:22:31

Doh! I meant, when going up the sleeves you may need to inc at a more dramatic rate - so you have more sts at the top.

I hate unpicking and re-knitting but it happens so often to me, I now try to see it as an inevitable part of the process!

As I said, though, you might get away with it if you don't have too much of a discrepancy between the number of stitches you're meant to have, once it's all on one needle, and the number you actually have...

Let us know how you get on!

CRbear Thu 12-Jan-17 18:09:55

There was only a discrepancy of 6 too many in the end and I was supposed to decrease 4 at that point anyway so I deceased 10 in one row and it looks ok so far. I've already made a mistake in the pattern though and am unknitting two rows!! Definitely a part of knitting for me too and I remember now why I used to check each row before carrying on!

JoffreyBaratheon Fri 13-Jan-17 11:10:24

Ah 6 stitches is fine - you did the right thing. I fudge for England when I knit - especially around the tops of sleeves, for some reason...

CRbear Sun 15-Jan-17 11:09:35

I finished it yesterday and I think it has all worked out ok. The neck is higher than I thought it would be but I doubt that's to do with my earlier mishap. Now to sew in thousands of threads. Thanks for all the help!

liz70 Sun 15-Jan-17 12:05:28

Wow, it looks fab, CR! Very impressive!

JoffreyBaratheon Sun 15-Jan-17 14:31:30

Beautiful! It looks perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now