Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are the best weights to attach to very long heavy curtains?

(12 Posts)
Katymac Fri 06-Jan-17 14:52:33

Is it the individual button ones or the string (100g?) or the torpedo ones?

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Fri 06-Jan-17 20:51:38

I use the individual lead button ones. Put one in each corner and at every width. That and a nice 3'' hem (so 6'' in total allowed for the hem) makes a nice weighty bottom.

Katymac Fri 06-Jan-17 21:15:01

They are 90 inches wide and about the same in length & a sort of wool blend - massively heavy

But the checks aren't lining up

Katymac Fri 06-Jan-17 21:27:52

I have to be honest I've only ever used the weights before

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Sat 07-Jan-17 14:53:05

The sound huge! Is the pattern running off? I love sewing with checks or stripes but only if the pattern runs straight. If it is wool has it stretched a bit? and perhaps if it is a small check then no one will really notice!

Katymac Sun 08-Jan-17 09:08:05

No it's not stretch with a little tug they sit side by side but unless straightened they hang off centre

So weigths will work I think maybe one in each corner plus a length of cord?

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Sun 08-Jan-17 10:01:21

I would just do lead penny weight tbh, how deep a hem have you done? are you lining them?

Katymac Sun 08-Jan-17 10:05:20

They are premade - I'm just shortening them

But they are bigger than I have done before -& I hate checks

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Sun 08-Jan-17 10:11:26

ah ok! yes that can be tricky if you take then hem up, I find it easier to take the top off and shorten them that way, totally doesn't help you this time but worth noting if you have to do some again, then you get to leave the hem alone and it all seems to work out o.k. Obviously if they are tab top then you don't have much choice but to do from the bottom unless you fancy a lot of work...

Katymac Sun 08-Jan-17 10:12:18

Eyelet!!

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Sun 08-Jan-17 10:42:24

oh bum. from the bottom up it is then!

Katymac Sun 08-Jan-17 10:46:34

I know sad

I think weights & chain to belt & brace it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now