Talk

Advanced search

Online sewing shop recommendations

(49 Posts)
coolpotato Thu 05-Jan-17 14:20:30

I've just bought a basic John Lewis sewing machine with some christmas vouchers....really to make basic bits and pieces to start with (cushion covers, drawstring gym bags for kids etc) as I'm a pretty much a beginner.

I know of a couple of sewing shops in my town for getting supplies (aside from Hobbycraft which I believe is pricey?), but wondered if there were any good websites that people can recommend for anything from thread to material and so forth.

reallyanotherone Thu 05-Jan-17 14:23:22

Fabricland is good.

GetMeOut Thu 05-Jan-17 23:27:42

Minerva Crafts seem to have everything.

coolpotato Fri 06-Jan-17 15:37:48

Thanks both, will take a nosey

teawamutu Sat 07-Jan-17 20:38:34

The textile centre (on ebay and have own website) does brilliant cheap fabric. Check out Tilly and the Buttons for really good blog, patterns and tutorials.

Checkedstripes Sun 08-Jan-17 16:35:02

Sew Over It: fab vlog on YouTube and a good range of dressmaking patterns if you're interested in that. They also so fabric but it tends to be a bit spendy.

shinysinkredemption Mon 09-Jan-17 08:03:05

The Sewing Forum is good for advice inc lots of online recommendations. I like Jaycotts: very cheap zips and lots of pattern sales. You can't beat seeing fabric in person though.

Here's a list published by the a Guardian in 2013

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2013/jun/11/top-ten-fabric-shops-uk?client=safari

coolpotato Thu 12-Jan-17 19:05:40

Thanks everyone! Now just to find some time to browse at leisure!

Snozwanger Thu 12-Jan-17 19:10:56

I love fabrics from Plush Addict, also Fabric Fox which is a smaller online shop. Their fabrics are very modern.

NotMeNoNo Thu 12-Jan-17 19:11:22

I often pick up odd things from eBay, particular zips or notions, buttons etc. Sometimes postage is cheaper.

Anatidae Thu 12-Jan-17 19:15:15

Alice Caroline for lovely liberty prints
Eternal maker
My fabric house
Eclectic maker
Bizzy and boo
Ditto fabrics
Fabric godmother

bumpertobumper Thu 12-Jan-17 19:17:59

Fabric godmother has some lovely fabrics as well as patterns and guidance

samcroreaper Thu 12-Jan-17 21:52:51

I second eBay, browse & look at the other sites first as it's easier to find what you want browsing those but definitely check on eBay before ordering as often cheaper & less postage costs

oooh, thank you everybody. I'm taking notes left right

EmpressoftheMundane Thu 12-Jan-17 22:50:58

clothspot.co.uk

www.lintondirect.co.uk/shop/

harristweedhebrides.myshopify.com/collections/harris-tweed-fabric-and-cloth

www.stonefabrics.co.uk

NotMeNoNo Fri 13-Jan-17 15:38:28

Has anyone mentioned Plushaddict, Textile Express, Millshoponline and Backstitch?

Also for furnishing and basic haberdashery, Dunelm have a pretty handy selection if you are near a branch.

There is so much choice now, the only disappointing place seems to actually be the late and great John Lewis - everything pre-packaged and small choice.

Checkedstripes Fri 13-Jan-17 16:32:29

Oh notmenono - if you can get to a decent sized shop they're quite good. And very good in the sales smile

EmpressoftheMundane Fri 13-Jan-17 16:37:23

If you can get to Shepherds Buah in London, Goldhawk Road is good as is SoHo.

Sweepingchange Fri 13-Jan-17 16:41:53

Great thread; blatantly place marking

NotMeNoNo Fri 13-Jan-17 17:17:37

checkedstripes Honestly, I am a lifetime devotee of John Lewis having lived in Nottingham and London. I had such high hopes of the haberdashery when they opened the Birmingham New Street store, but it is tiny! A dark corner with hardly any dress fabric or patterns. So perhaps my local experience is putting me off.

Of course they are a great standby but I think they have tweaked their range, probably to be more accessible for beginners which is no bad thing.

Slinkier Fri 13-Jan-17 18:02:15

Google any of these, all cheap and good :
online fabrics
fabric land
UK fabrics online
tia knight fabrics
minerva Crafts

also plush addict are amazing but cost a little more, but the best fabric designs, well worth it.

I'm a fabric addict, so I would know! lol

Sweepingchange Tue 17-Jan-17 23:38:41

Notmenono eh up me duck (said in strong Nottm accent) have just come over all nostalgic from memories of "Jessops" haberdashery dept grin

Can recommend FavouriteFabrics1 on ebay

Sweepingchange Tue 17-Jan-17 23:49:08

Forgot to add

Paper and String is good too!

www.paper-and-string.net/

NotMeNoNo Wed 18-Jan-17 08:18:03

Sweeping Change Don't get me started, at least there is still the Victoria Market. And the Lace Market...

Sweepingchange Wed 18-Jan-17 10:14:13

That's good to know Notmeohno! Haven't been back for years ... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now