Talk

Advanced search

Anyone waiting to start the Attic24 Moorlands Crochet-Along?

(38 Posts)
AliceInUnderpants Sun 01-Jan-17 20:47:47

I only learned to crochet in April past, and this will be my first crochet-along, though I have used a couple of Attic 24 patterns before now.

Anyone else joining in, and we can use this as a progress thread?
Any tips for a first-timer?

hillbilly Sun 01-Jan-17 23:44:31

Hi Alice. I'm doing it too! Can't remember when it starts though so must check. Never done a CAL before and hoping it will mean I progress quicker than my last blanket which has taken since April! No tips for you - Lucy's instructions are very clear so it will be easy to follow. Good luck 😃

DustyOwl Mon 02-Jan-17 00:11:21

I had not heard of this before reading this thread. I am quite new to crochet, have no idea what I'm doing and hope that by this Friday I will have the motivation to get started- I have had a bag of wool ready to go for 2 months. confused

Borisrules Mon 02-Jan-17 10:06:15

I'm just about to start the cosy blanket CAL from 2014.
I'll be watching your progress for this. The moorland colours look lovely.

RiaOverTheRainbow Tue 03-Jan-17 17:40:22

I got the yarn pack for Christmas grin (and I've been very good and not pinched the duck egg to finish off a different blanket)

I've never done a CAL before but I couldn't resist the colours!

AliceInUnderpants Tue 03-Jan-17 20:48:26

Oooh a few of us then grin

I'm quite excited. Have been working on the Scheepjes Skittles blanket since Xmas Eve, but that's going to take me an age as I'm making it big enough for my double bed.

Never done a wave or a ripple yet, so looking forward to trying it out.

RiaOverTheRainbow Fri 06-Jan-17 18:58:33

I've finally finished the samplers (I've settled on a 4.5mm hook) and the interminable foundation row and my blanket is now officially under way!

KatieMoragsMum Fri 06-Jan-17 19:11:27

Ooo enjoy the CAL, the moorland colours look amazing. I was so tempted, but am still halfway through Coast Ripple blanket, so I resisted. Please share pictures....

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 06-Jan-17 19:25:30

Ive got the pack to do it but I'm also two thirds the way through my second mandala madness blanket so I am not going to be able to get going just yet.

I was drawn by the unusual colors and I need a rhythmic repetitive pattern I can lose myself in. My previous mandala madness blanket and this one are great projects but can be hard work to follow the patterns.

It'll be nice to see people's progress.

hillbilly Sat 07-Jan-17 22:02:59

Great to see a few of us are doing it. I'm desperately trying to finish the last round on the border of another blanket so I can start on the CAL!

AliceInUnderpants Sat 07-Jan-17 22:40:39

Fab that a few of us are doing this grin

How are the starters getting on? I'm 28 rows in from the first week's 40 and hoping to finish this week's session tomorrow so I can get cracking on a few squares for Candy''s Hugs.

liz70 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:36:36

I'm in but I've ordered SC chunky as I prefer working with it rather than DK. If it makes a bigger blanket then that's fine. I've had to sub some shades for similar as not all the DK colours are available in Chunky.

I'm also intending the project to last the whole year as I'm a slow worker and have other stuff to work on too. Two stripes a week is my aim.

hillbilly Mon 09-Jan-17 13:43:23

Alice did you do the sampler first to check size? I always find that to get a good straight starting chain I end up with it being quite loose which then isn't great as my stitch tension goes back to normal and I end up with one end of the blanket wider than the other.If I do my chain tighter then it twists. Does that matter? Any tips?

P1nkP0ppy Mon 09-Jan-17 13:52:50

Please can someone tell me what a CAL is? Thanks.

hillbilly Mon 09-Jan-17 14:07:37

It's a Crochet-A-Long :-)

AliceInUnderpants Mon 09-Jan-17 14:20:15

@hillbilly no I didn't, am too impatient blush I did the foundation chain with a 5mm hook then switched to 4mm.

RiaOverTheRainbow Mon 09-Jan-17 15:18:13

hill I use foundationless crochet instead of a start chain, I still have to pay attention to the tension but I find it a lot more forgiving.

hillbilly Mon 09-Jan-17 17:08:23

Alice can I ask why you changed hook size after the foundation chain?

hillbilly Mon 09-Jan-17 17:09:04

Ria I would look into that now. Thanks.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 09-Jan-17 22:01:58

I used chainless foundation too, I find it much easier now I'm used to it and it's not so tricky if you lose count!

I'm making slow progress! There's only 6 stitches in each repeat but I still seem to get distracted and keep going back and forth, unpicking and re doingblush

I've had a cough and cold and I think its affected my concentration. My other project is a mandala madness blanket and I'm on my third attempt to complete one round, I just keep going wrong.....

JellyWitch Wed 11-Jan-17 16:34:09

I'm doing it too. Stitch markers are my saviour of a flighty brain doing the pattern repeat. No way I will keep up though as I'm only only row 13.

hillbilly Sun 22-Jan-17 09:08:10

How's everyone doing with it? I started a week late and am still only on row 22! Been a bit busy with other things but disappointed that I'm not keeping up. I timed myself and it takes me about 17 mins per row which equates to about 11.5 hrs s week to keep on track! Not sure I can manage that. Also crocheting is how I relax too so don't want to turn it into a race. Loving the pattern though smile

AliceInUnderpants Sun 22-Jan-17 11:43:12

I am up to date, and loving the way the colours are transforming in front of my eyes. The texture is lovely too.

hillbilly I wouldn't worry about 'keeping up'. I, too, crochet to relax and wouldn't want to push myself into working faster than I choose.

I'm working on squares for Candy's Hugs in between weeks. The one I have on the go just now is using the neat wave from the Moorlands blanket smile

hillbilly Sun 22-Jan-17 14:07:23

Yes Alice the texture is beautiful isn't it? At least I'm seeing in my ends as I go along which I usually don't do.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 22-Jan-17 20:05:34

I'm on row 25, it's going ok. Feel like I'm in a rhythm with the pattern now and don't get so easily confused.

Each week is quite a lot of stripes, I have no chance of keeping up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now