Talk

Advanced search

So, I am teaching myself to crochet this week and I could do with some help!

(31 Posts)
FantasticFestiveBeasts Tue 27-Dec-16 20:02:26

I am a fair knitter and spin my own yarn but can't crochet. Am now happy with my tension on a simple chain after about 10m of the stuff, am doing double and triple stitches that look passable (finding it harder than knitting). Have got a Craftsy class and the DK crochet book.

The Craftsy woman is using a metal hook with an ergonomic handle. I bought a knit pro wooden hook because I love my knitting needles but I think hers looks easier - leaving the obvious skill difference aside grin.

Do people think that sort of hook is better/easier for a beginner? Or is it just personal preference?

Has anyone got the DK book? Would the tweed (seed?) stitch cowl on page 204 be a good first project, labelled easy? I don't really want to do squares/blankets as I make those on my loom.

I have got a few balls of the Rowan felted tweed that cowl is in if people who know more than me don't think it is mad. Does crochet use more wool than knitting generally (or is that a stupid question)? That cowl suggests 4 balls which seems a lot.

I don't do YouTube very well, very slow broadband so has to be a written pattern and or video I can download.

Thanks 😀

NannyR Tue 27-Dec-16 20:14:27

I taught myself to crochet using the basic grey metal hooks and used them for years, I do prefer the ones with ergonomic handles now as they are more comfy when I am doing a big project.

Crochet uses much more yarn than knitting does, but it grows more quickly too.

I know you said you don't want to do blankets but I would have a go at making a baby sized blanket in cheap acrylic yarn (you could donate it to Woolly Hugs!) Do a granny square and just keep going round and round till it's big enough. It's a great way to get used to crochet, making your hands do the same movements over and over again, by the time you've finished making trebles will be second nature.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Tue 27-Dec-16 21:11:40

Thank you for replying Nanny. I don't actually like the granny square look blush. Would rather make something I like and will use (am time poor) hence the cowl question.

I will order a metal hook I think, in the hope it makes it easier.

Cherrypi Tue 27-Dec-16 21:15:12

I taught myself using that book too and also the attic 24 blog tutorials.

Crochetnanigans Tue 27-Dec-16 21:22:47

I learnt following Bella coco tutorials on YouTube. previous attempts at learning came to nowt!

i started with a granny square. then a star blanket. im umming and ahhhing about trying a circle vest/cardie but not sure i am advanced enough

i cant knit - my mum can but its looks alien to me!

PolterGoose Tue 27-Dec-16 21:26:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JacquettaW Tue 27-Dec-16 21:29:11

The ergonomic hooks are the best. I do a lot of crochet and the all metal ones really hurt my hands. You can get reasonably priced sets on Amazon. I'm building up my collection of Clover hooks which are expensive but so great to crochet with. If you are on Facebook there is the Bella Coco page, loads of advice and tips for all skill levels

PlaymobilPirate Tue 27-Dec-16 21:33:46

I prefer knitpro waves - really comfortable to use.

I also second Bella Coco and Attic24

FantasticFestiveBeasts Wed 28-Dec-16 08:52:21

Thank you everyone, I have just ordered a set of 9 Clover Amour hooks which will arrive tomorrow.

Let's hope I like them (or I will be back asking if anyone wants to buy them) grin.

I am not on facebook and my rural broadband buffers a lot if I try to use YouTube. If I need to see someone doing something I buy Craftsy or Interweave classes that I can download. Fortunately I like learning from books!

JacquettaW Wed 28-Dec-16 11:05:13

You'll love the Clovers! I can't use anything else now, been spoilt by them. They have a coating on the metal part that makes the wool just glide (grin)

FantasticFestiveBeasts Wed 28-Dec-16 11:19:10

I read about that Jacquetta. That was what swayed me to those from Knit Pro Waves. I have read far too many reviews this morning! I should have bought one to try really but they were only £4 each in the set as opposed to £6-6:50 ish each, so I like to think I did the sensible thing grin.

JacquettaW Wed 28-Dec-16 11:34:25

Definitely. The Knitpro waves are also good, especially if you are on a budget, they were my first ergonomic ones but you can't beat Clover especially as you got a good deal too smile

FantasticFestiveBeasts Wed 28-Dec-16 20:05:59

Can I ask another, probably stupid, question.

All of the examples in the book are in light yarn but I am using dark yarn. Is that why I am struggling to see my stitches (are they even called stitches?),

I can't judge the uniformity of what I am doing at all.

PlaymobilPirate Wed 28-Dec-16 20:09:25

Depends really - if you're a knitter I'm guessing you're used go different colour yarns. It's like anything - takes a while to pick up i suppose 😀

MiladyThesaurus Wed 28-Dec-16 20:17:08

It's much harder to see your stitches in dark coloured yarn. Yes.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Wed 28-Dec-16 20:17:09

Honestly Pirate, I am so slow, could have knitted fairisle, woven or sewed something massive in the time I have spent crocheting. I want to make flowing contemporary crochet things but reckon it with be a long job.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Wed 28-Dec-16 20:18:22

Is it? Phew, I have got some light coloured cotton for my inkle loom I will try that tomorrow then.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 28-Dec-16 20:21:09

oh yes, dark yarn is a bugger......I only do dark colours during the day.

Only other tip i have is to watch for american terminology....anything with SC in (single crochet) will be US terms
stitches are the same, but named differently.

they have sc, half dc/dc, tr, double treble, we have DC,half treble/treble, double treble, triple treble....and so on!

JacquettaW Wed 28-Dec-16 20:24:33

All the blogs and stuff recommend using light colours to learn with. Even when you are an advanced crocheter using dark colours is more difficult. Little tip for you, whether knitting or crochet, if you have to work with a dark colour lay a light towel/sheet or whatever you have over your knee. A small thing but makes a lot of difference

MiladyThesaurus Thu 29-Dec-16 09:20:45

Crocheting with black yarn is horrible. DS2 perusded me to make an amigurumi umbreon once. Never again.

MiladyThesaurus Thu 29-Dec-16 09:21:51

You will get faster OP. I promise.

temporarilyjerry Thu 29-Dec-16 10:35:02

I want to make flowing contemporary crochet things
Ooh, that sounds interesting. What kind of things are you thinking of, OP?

I have been inspired by this thread and have ordered a set of Clover Amour hooks.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Thu 29-Dec-16 16:24:32

Good question jerry grin. I saw someone wearing a beautiful tunic and thought I had to learn. Plus the portability of it really appeals. I spin and weave more than knit these days and obviously you need a car to take those anywhere.

I haven't found anything I really want to make but as I can't really do it ATM that isn't a bad thing. I like some of the Rowan patterns on their webpage and use a lot of their knitting patterns so will probably start there. There are a couple of books I like the look of Celtic Crochet Cables being one of them but I want to look though them first.

I will order some light wool for the cowl I think as there isn't enough of the cotton (and it is earmarked for something else really). I have come down with the house germ today and went shopping under duress as I had promised DD that I would take her to the sales. So no progress today and I am not forecasting any later on.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Thu 29-Dec-16 18:08:36

Another question grin. Would mohair be an ok idea for a first project? This scarf says it is easy and I have found some light coloured wool in my stash.

PolterGoose Thu 29-Dec-16 18:14:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now